Monday, 6 June 2011

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
First published by HarperCollins in 2007 (this edition by HarperCollins in 2008)


Book #1 in the Wicked Lovely series






Description (from Goodreads):


Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. 
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty-especially if they learn of her Sight-and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries. 
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. 
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. His is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost-regardless of her plans or desires.
Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; everything.
Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.



My thoughts:
I'd first heard about this series quite some time ago, when my local bookshop had stocked one copy of the third book in the Wicked Lovely series, Fragile Eternity. (It's still there, in case you were wondering...) - It actually seems to do that quite a lot; stocking other books in a series other than the first one. I don't know why they do it though... It's rather stupid. - I rather liked the sound of it and wanted to read it, but I hadn't been able to get my hands on a copy of the first book.

So, even though I had wanted to read it, I hadn't known exactly what it was about. I knew it had faeries in it, but not much more than that.... I have to say I was rather pleasantly surprised while I was reading it. In Wicked Lovely, faeries are creatures which exist in the same world that people do, only they can't see them unless the faeries choose to become visible. Aislinn is not like the rest of the people; she has always been able to see faeries. She has had to ignore them for all of her life, as faeries can be very brutal to the people that they know can see them. Strange things seem to be happening, which all lead up to the fact that Keenan - the Summer King - seems to think that Aislinn is his Summer Queen.

This was a completely different take on faeries for me. The only other book about them that I have read it Lament by Maggie Stiefvater. In Wicked Lovely, the faeries seem to be a lot more street-wise, for want of a better phrase. They seem to be rather ferocious and to involve in acts of dubious nature. I liked that. It gave them a different air and made for a completely different faerie story.

I also liked the way in which all the characters were developed. All had a reason for acting the way they did and they were all very well described. My favourite character would have to be Seth, though. You could tell from the beginning of the book that he was going to be there for Aislinn no matter what. He seemed to be able to take everything into his stride, but you can also tell that he is also scared of all that is going on. Though I really did not understand the point of giving him so many rings all over his body (He has a navel ring!! I hate navel rings at the best of times, but on a boy???). Aislinn was a really tough character. Once she decided she had to stop fighting everything, she stood her ground and demanded things in a way that she could not be told no to. I love girls who are not complete pushovers, but have some spunk in them. Donia and Keenan were also great characters, though out of the two, Donia was definitely my favourite.

I am definitely looking forward to reading the next book in this series, Ink Exchange! From an excerpt I read, the 2nd book sees the involvement of the fearies of the Dark Court, which didn't really get much mention in Wicked Lovely.

Rating: 8/10


Author:
Melissa Marr is an American author of young-adult and urban fantasy novels. She is most well known for her Wicked Lovely series, a young adult series about faeries. In 2011, she published her first adult novel, titled 'Graveminder'.

Check out her website HERE!



Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011, 1st In A Series Challenge

5 comments:

  1. Sorry about that! Try again it should work now!! hellota-ta.blogspot.com small blog BIG GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the first Wicked Lovely book, probably around the same amount that you did but the next two weren't as good so I never even bought 4 and 5 :-/

    Hope you like the rest of the series more than I did

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW love your blog and am now following!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book awhile back and really enjoyed it. But it has been such a long time since I read it that I'm considering rereading it before continuing on with the series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, totally get what you mean about the faeries. I really liked this book, but the second is my favourite. I love Irial.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...