Saturday, 4 June 2011

Author A-Z Challenge: D



Authors from A to Z


Today is Day 4 of the month-long Author A-Z Challenge. So, we have our favourite authors whose surnames begin with the letter D.



D is for
Daphne Du Maurier
Emma Donoghue
Roald Dahl



Daphne Du Maurier
I found out about Daphne Du Maurier years and years ago, when my Grandma bought me Rebecca as a present for my birthday, which I read and loved. A couple of years later, I also read Jamaica Inn, which I loved even more than I did Rebecca. These two books remain two of my favourite books of all time and I must read them again sometime. Rebecca has also been made into a film, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, and while doing my research for this post, I found out he also directed a film based on Jamaica Inn. I must find these two and watch them (though I'll probably be scared after...). If you have never read a book by her, I strongly recommend it!



Emma Donoghue
I only read Room recently (you can find my review here) and I loved the story. It was a rather awkward subject to write a story about, but I believe she handled it very well. Especially with the use of 5 year old Jack as the narrator. It's a book I definitely recommend reading.






Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl was my favourite author when I was younger. I remember reading and re-reading all of his books that I owned: Matilda, Esio Trot, George's Marvellous Medicine, The Twits, The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, The BFG. Honestly, some of the best children's stories available. Which is why I had to include him. It may have been years since I last read a book by him, but I still love them all.





Please stop by on Monday for the letter E!

2 comments:

  1. A few of Daphne du Maurier's short stories have been made into films too. Hitchcock's The Birds is the most famous but Don't Look Now scared the willies out of me and is really worth a watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even heard of Daphne du Maurier. Does that make me less of a bookworm?;-)

    I read Room last year, I think. It was pretty good.

    And, Dahl – excellent choice! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...