Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Author A-Z Challenge: X + Y



Authors from A to Z


Oh my gosh, these are AWFUL letters.


X is for
Xenofon

Xenofon
Well, I know it's not what you might call a great attempt, but ancient Greeks were the only ones I could come up with, whose names started with an X. So... Xenofon was a Greek historian, soldier and mercenary, as well as a contemporary and admirer of Socrates. When I was in school (my age being about 15), I had to read one of his works as part of my Ancient Greek class. Let me tell you, it was bloody difficult. That man coined new words and used syntaxes of his own and, at times, it was just impossible to decipher what on earth he was trying to say. Regardless, he was an excellent historian. His Hellenica is a major primary source for events in Greece from 411 to 362 BC, and is considered to be the continuation of the History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides.


Y is for
William Butler Yeats
Richard Yates

I actually haven't read anything by either of these two authors, but they were the only ones I could find and I do want to read something by them sometime, which is why they'r e here.

William Butler Yeats
From what I knew (and from what I read on Wikipedia), Yeats was a poet and playwright. Though I am not a big fan of poetry, I believe I have to (at least) try reading something of his. (Preferably a play...)







Richard Yates
I remember when the film Revolutionary Road (starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet) came out a couple of years ago. That's when I also found out it was based on the book by the same name by Richard Yates. I still haven't seen the film and I still haven't read the book, but I hope I will soon!







Aaaand tomorrow, for the grand finale...
the letter Z! 

1 comment:

  1. OK, firstly, how did I NOT think of WB Yeats? I took a Romantics class during college, and he was a huge part of it.

    I love what you did for X! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...