Tuesday, 14 June 2011

The Ocean Blog Tour

Today is the second stop of the blog tour organised for Mia Castile's book, The Ocean! I am so excited to be part of this blog tour, as I have read the blurb and I really like the sound of it! I hope I get the chance to read the book soon!

Mia Castile

First off, let's start with the blurb!

The Ocean by Mia Castile    Published by Entwined Publishing in April 2011
Description: Gianna and Alex have just buried their mother. Now they have to move back to St. Petersburg, Florida to live with their recovering alcoholic father. All the new changes, however, may be more than Gia can bear. While Alex turns to football and flirting with girls, she holds her emotions inside. Together they make sense of their new lives as Gianna finds herself falling for Travis. Travis is not without his own issues. Between his insecurities and other people meddling in his life, he finds strength in Gianna. He vows to be there for her doing everything he can to make it happen. The Ocean is a story of loss, redemption, and finding happiness in the middle of it all.

Today, I have an excerpt of the book to share with you!

Read on!

__________

Alex called when practice was over and Travis went to get him while I started dinner. 
It was a simple dinner, large salad with romaine lettuce, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, spices, chicken, croutons, and berries.  It was one of my mom's favorite things for dinner.  --I think because it was so simple to make, and it always looked so pretty.  As I tossed it, I thought about the first time she assembled it for us. 
We were living in Louisville, and she had been working at the diner for a few weeks.  She made really good tips there.  Looking back, Louisville was really where we found hope.  We lived in a small double.  It was the kind of house where if you stood at the front door you could see all the way to the back door.  None of the rooms had doors but we didn't care.  It had a simple living room, two bed rooms, and a kitchen with the bathroom off it.  That night Mom came home from work with a bag of groceries and a gleeful smile on her face.  When she laid out all the packaging and I saw the prices on the black berries and the fancy tomatoes that would fit in your mouth in one bite, my eyes were the sizes of saucers.  She simply patted my head and said,  "Gia, my darling, things are finally turning around for us."  She chopped and sliced, making sure it was perfect.  She sprinkled the berries into each salad individually, giving Alex a few more because she knew he loved all berries.  She diced the cooked chicken into perfect cubes and made vinaigrette from things already in our cabinets. 
When we sat down Alex, and I didn't even know what to do.  I didn't want to destroy the beautiful display she had made. 
She began to eat and then paused, looking at us.  Shaking her head she said, “This is a beautiful salad, but if we don't enjoy it, it will go to waste.  And it won't taste yummy after it has begun to wither.  Little boys need their vegetables to grow into big strong men who will always protect their little sisters, Alexander the Great.  Little girls need their vegetables so they will grow into strong smart women because beauty will never be a problem, la mia bella Gianna.  Eat up little ones because tomorrow, this won't taste as sweet as it does right now in this moment."  We did.  And it was the best tasting salad I had ever eaten.  After that, my mom made a point to make at least one night a month big salad night.  So tonight, I made a big salad.  I cleared off our books and set the table, using the nicest plates and glasses.  Over the years big salad night had also became the night we used the fancy dishes.  Mom began to call it the dinner party night.  Sometimes we invited friends over to show them how fancy we were, but most of the time, it was just for us.  "Three plates, just like old times,” I said to no one at all.



I don't know about you, but I am definitely looking forward to reading this book!

__________

But that is not all! Each blog on the tour will be giving part of a code phrase and the first three people to post the whole phrase correctly on the last stop (which will be on Mia's blog) win something!!!

My part of the code phrase is . . . . 
"were to help"

Thanks for stopping by my blog for this step of the tour! Don't forget to check out the rest of the stops!!

Tuesday - Here at funny wool with a first excerpt of The Ocean
Wednesday (tomorrow) - Emma over at BelleBooks with a review of The Ocean
Thursday - Lesley over at My Keeper Shelf with another excerpt from The Ocean
Friday - The Grand Finale of the blog tour over at Mia's blog

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing part of my book and being in this blog tour. you're truly a blessing and I'm glad I met you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished it and loved it. It's a really sweet romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me be a part of it, Mia! I'm looking forward to reading it!

    So glad you loved it, Lesley! I'm sure I will too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow... I'm curious about this book now. Thanks for the heads up.

    ps I'm a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...