Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite Bookish Websites, Organisations, Apps etc


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke And The Bookish. This week is all about those websites, organisations or apps (or anything else you can think of!) that have anything and everything to do with books! My list will probably not be 10 items long, but I will try my best!

1. Goodreads
Goodreads is honestly one of the bestest sites about books that exist. It helps me keep all my books organised; what I've read, what I have yet to read but actually own and what I really want to read in the future. That last point is one of the most important ones for me because of the fact that I usually end up seeing a particular book, making a mental note to buy it sometime and then, promptly forget about it. And, of course, the community is amazing! I have been talking to a few people around the world, just because we happened to read the same book

2. The Book Depository
When I first discovered this website, I was absolutely ecstatic! An online 'bookshop', with thousands and thousands of books (or is it millions?) that could be delivered to Greece without me having to pay excessive amounts of postage on Amazon. (That was a few months ago, see more on number 3) And they're rather cheap, too! I never imagined I could get so many books for a measly 6 euros each! Which is a bargain for me, as I usually get them for 8-10 euros in bookshops over here.

3. Amazon.co.uk
Even after I found out about the BD, I still ordered certain books from Amazon, mainly because of the fact that we were ordering something else too. But now they offer FREE Super Saver Delivery on all orders over £25!! So, yay!!!

4. S&S Galley Grab
I haven't really been using Netgalley, as I am kind-of afraid of getting rejected (I don't have many followers and that seems to play an important role for some publishers), but I have grabbed quite a few of galleys from the S&S Programme. It feels a little weird, reading books that haven't been published yet, but it also makes me feel quite privileged!

5. Kindle for PC and Android
While I think this app could be a little better and allow me to sort my ebooks into categories, it has saved me from having to buy a Kindle to read novellas (that are only released in ebook format) or even certain books that are on offer at times.

6. Goodreads App for Android
It has a barcode scanner! And it's not one of those completely awful ones, that take ages to focus correctly on the barcode. Haven't used it much yet, but I am sure it will come in very handy! Especially when I decide to add all the books I have actually read onto my Goodreads account (which I haven't done yet).

7. Bookmooch
It is such a good way to get rid of books I don't want any more and to get other books I do in the process! So far, I have been very pleased with the quality of books that have come to me via Bookmooch! So I'm definitely going to keep on using the website.


That's all I could think of, really. I am actually amazed I managed to get to number 7! 
So, what's on your list this week??


6 comments:

  1. Great picks, I love all of the above! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazon: Orders over £25? Muahahahaha... UK gets free delivery on everything :D

    It's a lovely feeling reading unpublished books, isn't it (: Even for indies, I feel a little bit special when I get them (:

    Good picks (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazon: Orders over £25? Muahahahaha... UK gets free delivery on everything :D

    It's a lovely feeling reading unpublished books, isn't it (: Even for indies, I feel a little bit special when I get them (:

    Good picks (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. At times I think it'd be nice if Amazon brought back that minimum order for free delivery in the UK... As everything is free it's oh so easy to order stuff...I bought a lot less when I had to make up an order. But it's great that they do that for the rest of Europe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Book Depository! The books are cheaper than Chapters and there is free delivery even for one single book! Great Choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to give that Goodreads barcode App a go. Could be very handy when in a book shop and you have no money. You can add to your wishlist and not forget that title like normal.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...