Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: The Reasons I Love Book Blogging


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke And The Bookish. This week's Top Ten is about the reasons we love book blogging! 

Reading:
With blogging, I seem to have a better excuse to just sit there and read. And read. And read a little more. Even my Grandma calls to ask me how I am doing with my challenges!

Meeting new people from all over the world:
This is probably the most amazing part of the whole experience! I have talked to loads of people in England, Ireland, America and Canada! I think even with a couple of people in Australia! And we all share our love for books. That was not something I expected to happen when I started book blogging! Special thanks go to Becky from The Bookette, whose British Books Challenge made me start blogging in earnest!

Having an excuse to buy more new books all the time:
Well, I have always been known to go overboard with my book buying, but this year has by far surpassed the previous ones. So many books that come recommended, that most of them I just have to have! Even if they end up sitting on my bookshelf for half a year.

Discovering new authors:
Or new to me, at least. Through book blogging, I have found out about a great number of books by authors I had never heard of before. Books like The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready (which I am reading now and am really enjoying!), as well as others which I have bought but haven't got round to reading yet, would not be on my bookshelves if it weren't for book blogging.

Trying out books I may never have picked up otherwise:
I have always been a very varied reader. I read the classics, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, dystopian, fantasy, paranormal, regardless of whether it is labelled as being YA or Adult. The thing is that book blogging has led me to find books that may be part of a wider genre I have already read, but differ considerably from the books belonging to it that I already have read. Or books that I didn't particularly like the sound of and thought they were the same as other books (eg Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick - When I first saw it, I was like 'Fallen Angels??? Again???', but I managed to find a copy of it from Bookmooch and I will be giving it a try soon.)


I think that pretty much covers it! I know there aren't 10 items up there, but I think that if I try to come up with others, I will just end up repeating myself!

Why do you love book blogging?

5 comments:

  1. Good reasons and you are totally right.
    Awww that is so sweet that your grandmother is checking in on your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember standing in the queue at lunchtime one Monday and a colleague asking if I'd had a productive weekend. I said, yes got lots of reading done and he didn't that was productive! At least with reviewing books I had an excuse to throw back at him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I agree with everyone of your reasons :)

    As for Ellie's comment above, I've had that happen to me so many times! People ask those sorts of questions then when I say I've been reading they pull a face as though it was a waste of time where I could have done something better - as if! What's better than reading? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use book blogging as an excuse to buy a lot of books as well. I'm not always sure that is a good thing, though:)

    Here's my list

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Thanks for the mention. I'm delighted the challenge has influenced this way. I had no idea when I set up the challenge that people would be so enthusiastic and supportive. I really hope I get to meet you this summer. Making friends through blogging is the best!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...