Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Specials (Uglies #3)

Specials by Scott Westerfeld
First published by Simon Pulse in 2006 (this edition by Simon & Schuster in 2010)


Book #3 in the Uglies series




Description: (from Goodreads)
Tally thought they were a rumor, but now she's one of them. A Special. A superamped fighting machine, engineered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid.
But maybe being perfectly programmed with strength and focus isn't better than anything she's ever known. Tally still has memories of something else.
But it's easy for her to tune that out--until she's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice: listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat, or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.


My thoughts:
When I started reading this book, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I had enjoyed Uglies a lot and was a little disappointed by the second book in the series, Pretties. Before I start stating my opinion of this book, I have to say that this review will contain spoilers for anyone who has not read the first two books in the series. Consider yourselves warned!

In this installment of the Uglies series, Tally has progressed yet another level and she is now a Special. But she's not even a regular one at that; she is a special brand of Special (?), a Cutter, a team created by Dr Cable and led by Shay (who we saw as a Special at the end of Pretties).

This book was a lot better than the previous one, but still, nowhere as good as Uglies. The plot was a lot more interesting and there were some completely different things going on, which I actually did not expect. One thing I liked a lot about this book was that there was mention of other cities in the world other than the ones Tally had lived in and knew about (Crumblyville, Uglyville and New Pretty Town). It made the world a lot more real and believable.

Though again, quite sadly I must say, I did not like Tally. She comes off as a particularly selfish and rather stupid person. At the beginning of the book, she just seems to do whatever Shay tells her to do and as the book progresses, even though she does seem to still be able to make decisions for herself, she is still not very likeable. Another thing I liked was that Zane was not really featured in this book. It might sound rather nasty of me, but I really did not like Zane's character and I believe that he is responsible for the ruination of Tally's character.

To end this review, I am going to make a comment about the ending of this book. I can't say I expected it to happen in the way it happened, so I was pleasantly surprised by it. Though I didn't really like the part where 4-5 weeks went by in the space of a couple of paragraphs. Even though the author felt there wasn't much to say about that period of time, it nevertheless felt like a big gap to me, as things were sure to have been happening.

Rating: 7/10


Author:
You can find out more about Scott Westerfeld at the end of my review of the first book in the series, Uglies.

Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...