Friday, 13 May 2011

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2)

Seeing as Blogger has been completely weird and the fact that I just noticed it deleted my post, here it is again! :)


The Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
First published by Scholastic in 2009 (this edition by Scholastic in 2009) (that's what it says in my book, though Goodreads says it was first published in 2008)

Book #2 in The Hunger Games trilogy


Description: (from Goodreads)
Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol.


My thoughts:
I loved this book! So much! I didn't know what to expect after the terrific first book in this series (my review here), thinking the next books could not possibly be as good as the first one. This one was every bit as good as The Hunger Games. This is the third book I have devoured in a matter of hours this year! (Yes, it's that good)


After finishing the book, I looked it up on Goodreads to see what other people had to say about it. I saw quite a few reviews that said Catching Fire was not as good as The Hunger Games. I can understand why they might think that, but, for me, this book was equally good. It had a different storyline, focusing quite a bit on the politics behind the whole spectacle that is called ''The Hunger Games'' (which is why quite a few people found this book to be slower in action than the first one). I didn't mind it in the least. I felt that it was necessary (after all the things Katniss and Peeta went through while competing in the ''Hunger Games'') for them to have a period in time where everything was a little peaceful. That doesn't mean things weren't happening, just that they weren't as gruesome as what happened during the ''Hunger Games''.


And that twist...? Definitely did not see that one coming...! I think I had an '':-O'' moment when I read what was going to happen!


I had hoped for a little more of Gale in this book, as I had mentioned in my review of the first book. Well, I definitely got some (and it was good, if a little predictable), but it wasn't as much as I had hoped for.


The book ended on a pretty big cliffhanger, so I am VERY grateful I already own the third book and do not have to wait for it to be published! I'll get round to it very soon! 



Rating: 10/10


Author:
You can find out more about Suzanne Collins at the end of my review of The Hunger Games.


Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011, Dystopia Challenge, 2nds Challenge

7 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiastic review! I see that I really, really have to start this series. I love the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. My favorite series of this year! I am sure you will enjoy the third book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! So glad you liked this series :)

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love THG series! It's so great. Wonderful review! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad someone else noticed how weird blogger has been.
    Glad you like this. I think the series is practically impossible not to like. Even my mom who tends to only read murder mysteries and Australian novels loved this series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't usually write a reviews on a book that has not come out, but this one is special! I am so in love with the first book, Hunger Games! I also recently found out on a fansite for the books that a producer company has bought the rights to make the first one into a movie and all I have to say is they better do it right! But other than that I am full of excitement to see what happens in this amazing series! I hope they will stop changing their minds on when the book comes out! These books are totally worth spending the money to get them in hardcover. It says paperback, but it has to be a mistake bacause the first one was in hardcover and the pricing is about the same as this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...