Wednesday, 4 May 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Came Recommended


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke And The Bookish.

This week we are talking about the books that were recommended to us and that we are soooo glad we read in the end! Here is my list, as always, in no particular order! (Even though it's going up a little later...)


1. Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
This one was recommended to me by my Grandma, who had just read it recently and told me to borrow her copy! I'm so glad I did! Now I have a copy of my own.


2. The House At Riverton by Kate Morton
If I remember rightly, this was one of the books that was recommended by the Waterstones staff at their store in Macclesfield, when I was visiting some years ago. Thanks to the person who put it there, whoever you are!


3. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
This is a book that everyone says you must read at some point in your life. I remember that quite a few of my friends had read it when we were still at school and they had loved it. A few years later, so did I!


4. His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass)
This was years and years ago, but I think it was my Grandpa who recommended them to me. My Grandma had read them too, but it was he who actually gave them to me and told me to read them! I love these books!


5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Another book recommended by my Grandma! Though I actually took her copy of this one to read and have not yet returned it... Don't think she minds though!


6. The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
My friend Penny had recommended this series to me aaaages and ages ago, but I only got as far as the second book. Last year (or probably the year before that), I decided to give them another try, when she told me she was re-reading them for the tv series that was just starting. They're enjoyable reads, though I haven't liked the last ones as much as the first ones in the series.


7. Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA by Brenda Maddox
Even though I am not a great fan of biographies, I did read this one on my Grandpa's recommendation. He went on and on about it for a whole summer until he got me to read it! I'm so glad I did, as I learnt a lot of stuff I didn't know about this truly remarkable woman, who died before her time.


8. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
My Grandma sent me this one as a Christmas present a few years ago, telling me I would love it. And I did! Unfortunately, I have not read any of Philippa Gregory's other books, but I will be reading Wideacre fairly soon (I hope)!


9. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
The thanks go to my brother for this one! He started reading it years ago and was completely and utterly hooked. He got me hooked too, with the only stipulation that he got to read the new books first when they came out...!

And last but not least:


10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
My thanks for this recommendation go to all you wonderful bloggers out there who have read and reviewed The Hunger Games, making me want to see for myself what all the fuss is about! I see it now...!

(As you can see, I really trust my grandparents' recommendations. They know what I like, so why not!)

This was my Top Ten list for this week! Which books are on yours??



Coming up next week: Top Ten Jerks in Literature!

4 comments:

  1. The Book Thief is on my TBR shelf and after all I've heard, I'm really looking forward to getting to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices. I love The Book Thief, it is one of my favorite Holocaust books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of people have recommended Sookie Stackhouse to me, but I haven't read them because I watch the show and I feel like they will be boring, since I've seen what happens (at least in the first few). Am I wrong?

    Check out my list here

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been recommended great books! I was also recommended The Book Thief and absolutely loved it. Oh, Milan Kundera is on your list - how cool! He's a Slovene writer, I'm from Slovenia and so I'm happy.:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...