Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Biggest Jerks In Literature


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke And The Bookish.

This week's Top Ten is about the biggest jerks found in literature (all those jerky guys in books..those who truly WERE asshats and those who just acted like one but could be quite loveable). As always, in no particular order:


1. Alan in Sharp Objects
He was one of the biggest jerks in creation. Everything was happening right under his nose, including the fact that his wife was an absolute and utter psycho, and he did nothing about it. He actually even told Camille (the main character) that she was being inconsiderate and mean to her mother and wouldn't let her take care of her. Anyhoo, he really irritated me.


2. Mr Wickham in Pride and Prejudice
What an idiot... He presented himself as such an amiable and lovable person, when all he really wanted was money and position in society. He deserved ending up with Lydia (who was also rather annoying).


3. Tomas in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
I really didn't like this particular character from just a few pages into the book, and as the book progressed, my opinion just became worse. He just came off as an extremely annoying womaniser to me. He probably stated somewhere in the book how many women he actually slept with! If that doesn't make a character a jerk, then I don't know what does.


4. Cahil from Magic Study
I actually liked Cahil in the beginning. He was a nice character, obviously smitten with Yelena (yes, I used the word smitten!), but you could tell that he was mostly in need of company who weren't his men. But then, he just started becoming rather annoying, until the end of the book when he did something downright idiotic, for reasons that sounded pretty pathetic to me. Can't wait to read the last book in the series, to see what happens! Hope it explains some things, because I really liked him and would love to see him in a more positive light again! (So, he's not that much of a jerk really...)


5. General Tilney from Northanger Abbey
He was just a pompous ass! Typical of fathers in that era (or so I assume), but it's still enough to classify him as a jerk. He kicked Catherine out of his house within hours of finding out her true origins! Gah! Use some courtesy, you stupid pompous old man!




That was my list for this week. I decided to do half a list as I don't really have much time to come up with a full list today! (Plus, I have to get a review up today... I'm falling too far behind. Must catch up as soon as possible!)


So, which boys were on your lists??

Thanks for stopping by! 

4 comments:

  1. I don't know where all the time goes either, I'm thinking of skipping top ten this week even though I normally enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I totally agree about Wickham and Tilney. Especially Wickham is such an annoying man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did my post on Mother's Day remind you of the jerks in Sharp Objects? That book is full of jerks.

    Read my list here.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...