Wednesday, 2 March 2011

Uglies

Trying to catch up on my reviewing. Up next:

source

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
First published by Simon & Schuster in 2005 (this edition by Simon & Schuster in 2010)


Book #1 in the Uglies series




Description: (from back cover)
Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that?
Tally can't wait to turn sixteen and become Pretty. Sixteen is the magic number that brings a transformation from a repellant Ugly into a stunningly attractive Pretty, and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be Pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the Pretty world - and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn Pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.


Opinions:
This is the first book in the Uglies Quartet. It was originally intended to be a trilogy (consisting of ''Uglies'', ''Pretties'' and ''Specials''), but then ''Extras'' was added and it became a Quartet.

My brother had wanted me to find this book for quite a long time and in the end I did manage to find it. He read it straight away, but I just never seemed to get round to it. Until now! (Which is good, as now it gets to count toward my 100 Books In A Year Challenge!)

I really enjoyed this book. It's a very easy book to read and it does deal with some very good themes, such as the environment and the culture of being pretty (Hollywood, etc). The second one is the main focus of the book. The world Tally lives in consists of Pretty people giving birth to Littlies, who then become Uglies and who then, when they turn 16, are turned into Pretties themselves. Their whole lives they learn about all the bad things the Rusties did to the world and how their way of living is in every way superior to the one the Rusties used to lead. (Just so you don't get lost, we are the Rusties - because we use metal in everything and by the time we get to the era the book is set in, everything has become rusty).

Weeks before her transformation into a Pretty, Tally meets another girl, Shay, who shares the same birthday as her. They soon become friends, as they seem to be the last out of their respective friends not to have turned pretty. But then Shay leaves, just after telling Tally that there is a whole world outside of the Pretty community and that's where she is headed. That results in Tally being forced by the authorities to find Shay, otherwise she will never turn Pretty. So she embarks on her adventure, with her only guide a piece of paper with very weird instructions.

I think it's great that there is a book out there which is basically telling us that ''Pretty is in the eye of the beholder'' (to change the well known phrase). Everyone is pretty because they are different to the others. They are unique in their own ways. This book is one of the best young adult fiction books I have read. I definitely recommend reading it to everyone. Even if you are not a fan of young-adult books, I believe this one you will enjoy. I am definitely looking forward to reading the next books in the series (when I can get my hands on them!)

Rating: 9/10


Author:
Scott Westerfeld is an American author of science fiction. He was born in Texas, but now lives in both Sydney, Australia, and New York City, USA. He is married to Australian author Justine Larbalestier (I think I got that right!).
He is the author of several books for young adults, such as
The Midnighters (3 books)
Uglies (3 books + a companion novel, Extras)
Leviathan (3 books, with the last one coming out in October 2011)
Here are some random covers of some of his books:
source

source

source
As always, you can find more information about Scott Westerfeld and his books by following these links:
Scott Westerfeld Rants and Stories (be forwarned - they may contain swear words - author's own warning)

Counts as Book #13 in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge!

xx

1 comment:

  1. GAH! I have wanted to read this book for so long, it's unreal.
    I need to get my hands on it after reading so many positive reviews on it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...