Friday, 27 May 2011

TGIF (3)



TGIF is a feature hosted by Ginger from GReads! every Friday! This feature allows us to re-cap our posts of the week and answer a fun question at the same time!

This week's question is:

Author Love: 
In 2011 which new/old authors have you discovered & loved?

__________

It has been approximately 4 months since I started blogging in earnest. I had started my blog sometime last year, but I count my official blog birthday as the 22nd of January 2011. During these 4 months, I have met some lovely bloggers and followed countless others, who have introduced me to a great number of new authors. But I have also done some discovering on my own! Some of the old/new authors I have discovered this year and loved are:
  • Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games series: It might seem weird to some, but before I started blogging, I had never even heard of this series (despite the fact that it has also been translated into Greek). And when I did start hearing all those lovely things about them, they magically appeared in my local bookshop! Coincidence? I think not! Needless to say, I loved them all!
  • Maria V. Snyder - The Study series: Another author who has been around for quite some time! When I read the first book in this series, Poison Study, I was amazed. I loved the story. I actually ordered the next two books in the series the day after I finished reading Poison Study! I was even more amazed when I read that Poison Study was actually the first book she had ever written! She definitely has a lot of talent! I'm looking forward to reading both of Maria Snyder's other series (Glass and Insider).
  • Nick Hornby - High Fidelity, Slam!: My brother discovered him before I did. I noticed that he seemed to enjoy his books, so I decided to give them a try myself and I wasn't disappointed. I love his writing style and the way he approaches the matters he has decided to write about. He makes them seem real, as if they're actually happening somewhere out there right now. Which they probably are.
  • Diane Setterfield - The Thirteenth Tale: I'd had this book since last summer, when I borrowed it from my Grandma. It came all the way to Greece and then just sat on the bookshelf until approximately a week ago. I had recently read Irena's (@This Miss Loves To Read) review of the book and decided to finally read it. One of my best reads this year!
Which authors did you discover this year??? Let me know, so I can check them out for myself!

__________

Last week on the blog:

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. I love Suzanne Collins and Maria V Snyder. Diane Setterfield is new to me so I should probably check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad my review prompted you to read The Thirteenth tale at last! That's great to hear. I'm also glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Selina - Yes, you should! That book was so indescribably great!

    @Irena - It definitely did and thank you sooo much for that! I loved this book so much, I was rather sad to see that she hasn't published another book yet. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've yet to read Maria V Snyder- her books have been on my to read list forever.....Have you read the Overlander Series by Suzanne Collins? It's middle grade fiction, and really enjoyable too!
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read those Hunger Games already! I think I must be one of the few that haven't lol. Great List!
    Here is mine! http://frosybookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/05/follow-friday8-book-blogger-hop8-tgif1.html

    New Follower and I know exactly what you mean about getting english books in Greece! I had the most difficult time and most of the time I ended up ordering from England. Oh well, now I'm in Canada studying and I love the bookstores here! Paradise! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...