Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Night Star (The Immortals #5)


Night Star by Alyson Noel
First published by St. Martin's Press in 2010 (this edition by Macmillan Children's Books in 2010)

Book #5 in The Immortals series


Description: (from back cover)

Love and heartbreak belong together...

There are some secrets you're better off not knowing. But once Ever Bloom is given a glimpse of what Damen keeps hiding from her, she has to find out more - whatever the cost.

Their past together is not what she thinks - and only he remembers everything. Until now, when a vengeful friend lets her in on his secret. And it may just push Ever into someone else's arms . . .

My thoughts:
As you might know, if you've read my review of Dark Flame (which you can find here), I didn't particularly enjoy it. It was rather tiring. I felt as if the author was just trying to make a full story out of the very little that happened in the book. It picked up towards the end, but it was not enough for me to say I enjoyed it. I had already bought the fifth book before reading the fourth (as I found it on offer while on holiday), but just got round to reading it. As it's the fifth book in the series, it will have some spoiler-y stuff, if you haven't read the previous books in the series.

I have to say I liked this one a little more. It was not as good as the 1st and 2nd books in the series, but it was a lot better than Dark Flame. Yes, the focus is still on the problem that Ever and Damen have (that they can't touch properly) - which is getting a little tiring, in my opinion -, but it was not the only thing that was happening in the book. There was quite a bit of Haven in this book (who has turned out to be an absolute bitch now she is immortal and refuses to see reason), though I thought that the author depicted Haven in such a way that the only thing you could do is hate her. And hate her I did... There were quite a few revelations about Ever and Damen's past in this book. (Though again I must say I expected them to be a lot worse from the way the author led up to them...)

One thing that really annoyed me in this book (and which is probably in the previous books, too, but I probably just didn't notice it) was the constant use of words in italics. I get that the author was trying to emphasise some specific words and make it seem as if it was like a proper conversation, but after a point it just stood out - too much. To the point that I actually rolled my eyes when another word in italics came up.

All in all, I enjoyed this one more than the previous book and I am looking forward to reading the next and last book in the series, Everlasting (expected publication date: 7th June 2011 or 1st July 2011 in the UK).


US  |  UK

Rating: 6/10


Author:
You can find out more about Alyson Noel at the end of my review of Dark Flame HERE.

Counts as Book #37 in the 100 Books In A Year Challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...