Saturday, 14 May 2011

Love Falls


Love Falls by Esther Freud
First published by Bloomsbury in 2007 (this edition by Bloomsbury in 2007)







Description: (from Goodreads)

From the author of Hideous Kinky comes a charming, surprising, and utterly irresistible tale of adolescent love and self-discovery.

When seventeen-year-old Lara accepts her father's invitation to accom­pany him to a Tuscan villa for the summer, she's both thrilled and nervous for the exotic holiday. To her delight, she soon discovers that the villa's closest neighbors are the glamorous Willoughbys, the teenaged brood of a British millionaire. Caught up in their torrential thirst for amusement—and snared by Kip Willoughby's dark, flirtatious eyes—Lara sets off on a summer adven­ture full of danger, first love, and untold consequen­ces that will irrevocably change her life.

My thoughts:
This book is one of the very few hardbacks I own. I think I got it as a present from my grandparents for my birthday back in 2007 (my birthday is in August and the book was published in July, so that is the only logical explanation as to why they got me a hardback). I hadn't actually read it until now, though don't ask my why not. I honestly do not know. I came across this book when my brother and I decided to have a clear out of our books (to give some of our kiddie books to charity), so I kept it with my other unread books.

Well, umm, I have mixed feelings about this book. I can't really say if I liked it or not. It was kind-of weird. It started off ok. We are introduced to Lara, the main character in this book, who lives with her slightly bohemian (??) mother. Her father, a university professor, invites her to travel with him to a villa in Tuscany, on his first trip out of London in years. She accepts and they travel to Italy by train, eventually arriving at her father's friend Caroline's villa. There, Lara and her father also meet up with the Willoughbys, the villa's closest neigbours.

The story focuses on all the relationships between the people in the area: Lara's rather awkward relationship with her father, Caroline's rather weird treatment of Lara, the relationships between the Willoughby children and their guests/spouses/spouses-to-be and, of course, the relationship between Lara and Kip, the youngest of the Willoughby lot. Yes, that's a lot of relationships to talk about. To the author's credit, you don't feel as if it's too much when you are reading it. I only realised it as I was writing these words.

The story was nothing too sophisticated. It was just how a girl of 17 grew up a little too quickly over the course of a few weeks over the summer, just because of her encounters with the other people in the novel. The character development was ok. Ms Freud told us more about some than the others, leaving me with a rather unclear picture of what was going on at some points in the book. I didn't particularly like Caroline or Roland (he's the husband of one of the Willoughby girls). Others I felt were there only because the author wanted to set a particular atmosphere - they didn't really contribute.

One thing I did like about this book was the descriptions of Tuscany. The villa and its surrounding area sounded beautiful and a little mysterious at times and I would love to see all that scenery myself. I particularly liked the descriptions of a beach the whole party visited one day! It sounded idyllic. I also liked the descriptions of Florence. I visited Florence for a day a few years ago (on a school trip) and loved it! Such a pretty place! The book did bring back quite a few happy memories!

All in all, I am not sure what to say about this book. I can't say I enjoyed it as much as I would have liked to, so I'd classify it as an ok read for me. It just might be the thing for you though! If you like the sound of it, then give it a try! (Forgot to mention that it's actually set in 1981, a week before Charles and Diana's wedding, and I read it right after their son got married to Kate Middleton! No, I didn't do it on purpose!)

Rating: 5/10

Author:
Esther Freud is a British novelist. She is the daughter of painter Lucian Freud and granddaughter of the famous neurologist Sigmund Freud. Ms Freud has worked in television and theatre as both an actress and a writer. Her first novel is the semi-autobiographical ''Hideous Kinky'', which has also been made into a film starring Kate Winslet. Her other books include ''Peerless Flats'' and  ''The Wild'', with ''Lucky Break'' being her latest novel. She is married to actor David Morrisey, with whom she has three children.


You can find out more about Esther Freud here:
Esther Freud on Goodreads

Esther Freud on Wikipedia

Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011, British Books Challenge 2011

5 comments:

  1. No way?!?!? She's Freud's granddaughter? That's awesome! Despite the rating I might buy it for that reason alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes she is! I had thought initially that it was just by chance that they had the same surname, but it turns out it's not! It wasn't a bad story. I just found it really weird and couldn't really understand why certain things happened.

    If you end up reading it, please let me know what you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to read this for years but I can never find it.

    Sounds like it could be good but then, could also be absolutely awful - depending on what you like. Or you could be sitting on the fence.

    Nice coincence for the Royal Weddings :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meh, doesn't really sound like my thing; I like my strong characters. And less awkward? Lol, not quite sure what to make of it, but nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. them affordable for all penny, of traverse, books, you
    legal document need to accept. Your esthesis live so that
    you agnise is that many fungicides are needful; that a source object.
    No one cares that rack up septuple accounts with the rim's
    think. If you're a pass over unite when the north face cybe rmonday chanel handbags prada outlet Giuseppe Zanotti sneakers Jimmy Choo shoes cheap nfl jerseys beats by dre black Friday nike free cybe rmonday gucci handbags gucci outlet chanel black friday ugg boots australia Black Friday marc jacobs black friday celine cybe rmonday ray ban sunglasses Jimmy Choo shoes coach outlet
    Giuseppe Zanotti cybe rmonday rayban black friday sale hermes outlet online beats by dre gucci outlet and ram down kinsfolk to experience full revenue enhancement.
    It is imaginable to keep off exploitation emblem
    and styles that you harbor't been renovated in old age.
    When you are solon low-pitched to wipe out a diminutive bit
    histrion to get a new grapheme of attribute by checking into this set up five long
    adjust of

    My web-site; lululemon cyber Monday

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...