Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Pretties



Pretties by Scott Westerfeld
First published by Simon Pulse in 2005 (this edition by Simon & Schuster in 2010)

Book #2 in the Uglies series





Description: (from back cover)
Tally has finally become Pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes cool, her boyfriend totally gorgeous, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.
But beneath all the fun - the non-stop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom - is the nagging sense that something is very wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's Ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with Pretty life, and the fun stops cold. Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life...


Opinions:
Pretties is the second book in the Uglies series. I read and reviewed the first book in the series, Uglies, earlier this year (you can find my review here). I really enjoyed reading Uglies (hence the 9/10), so I ordered Pretties and Specials straight away, so that I could read them as soon as possible. They ended up taking a month to get here...

To review this book, I obviously have to mention things that happened in the first book, so if you haven't read Uglies, then read at your own risk. (That sounds rather ominous, doesn't it!)

In Uglies, Tally desperately wanted to become a Pretty. But her friend Shay ran away and she was sent by the Special Circumstances to look for her. She ended up living in the Smoke for some time, but then circumstances forced her to return and give herself up to become a Pretty. I'm not going to say more than that, just in case you have decided to read on. I'm not going to spoil the book completely for you!

This book starts off with Tally as a Pretty, who lives a wonderfully carefree life, goes to parties, is either drunk or hungover. On that first night, she is getting ready to go to a costume party, where she is going to be judged.  So it can be decided whether she will become a part of the Crim gang. But then something happens. Something which she agreed to do, but cannot remember doing so. She decides to trust herself anyway (she reads a note she wrote herself, at the end of the first book) and just go for it. This obviously ends up leading to a big adventure for Tally, as well as some of her fellow Crims, and most importantly her boyfriend.

I have to say, I was rather dissapointed. I did not love this book as much as I loved the first one. First and foremost, the style of writing rather annoyed me. I know he was doing it on purpose, as he wanted to show us the airy-headedness (yes, I think that's a word) of the Pretties. But it just ended up being annoying. I mean, come on: Tally-wa and Shay-la...??? Those were bad enough, but then came the worst: Zane-la... (note: Zane is a boy)

Other than that, the story was ok. It had adventure, as well as some other elements that I did not expect. Though I didn't really like Tally as much in this book, to be honest. It seemed as if the Pretty surgery had taken something away from her spunk. She was still mischievous and troublemaking, but there was also something missing. Another character I really didn't like was Zane. I know he was a good guy, but I just could not like him, even though he goes through a lot in this book. I suppose it just interfered with my dream of Tally and David's relationship progressing, despite Tally becoming a Pretty... Ah well... We'll have to see what happens in Specials.

All in all, it was a good book, but, for me, it was definitely inferior to Uglies.

Rating: 6/10

Author:
You can find out more about Scott Westerfeld at the end of my Uglies review, which you can find here!


Counts as Book #30 in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge
Also counts towards my 2nds Challenge and the Dystopia Challenge.


3 comments:

  1. The pretty UK covers drew me into getting Pretties and Specials (is there another one too?) but I did guess they wouldn't be up to the quality of Uglies. I will read them nevertheless as I'm sure they'll be quick reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is another one, Extras, which is set some (not sure how many) years after Specials, but it doesn’t feature Tally.

    I absolutely hate the covers I've got... Well, ok, I don't hate them, but they're not exactly nice, are they?? I didn't get any choice in the matter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like Pretties as mush as Uglies either, but Special was awesome! Read it, it gets better :)

    Haven't read Extras yet though, but I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...