Saturday, 7 May 2011

13 Little Blue Envelopes


13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
First published by Avon in 2006 (this edition is the e-book edition, including an excerpt from The Last Little Blue Envelope)


Book #1 in the Little Blue Envelope series


Description: (from Goodreads)

Inside little blue envelope 1 are $1,000 and instructions to buy a plane ticket.
In envelope 2 are directions to a specific London flat.

The note in envelope 3 tells Ginny: Find a starving artist.

Because of envelope 4, Ginny and a playwright/thief/ bloke–about–town called Keith go to Scotland together, with somewhat disastrous–though utterly romantic–results. But will she ever see him again?

Everything about Ginny will change this summer, and it's all because of the 13 little blue envelopes.

My thoughts:
This is the other book I bought from Amazon.com, when the offer was on (the other one being Wings by Aprilynne Pike). I had seen it everywhere on blogs and I thought the story sounded cute and easy to read, so I decided to try it for myself. (It was free, as a promotion for the release of the second book in the series, The Last Little Blue Envelope).


Suffice to say, I wasn't blown over by the book. I remember reading quite a few reviews mentioning that they absolutely loved the book, but that was not the case with me. First of all, I was really annoyed by the fact that there was NO mention of Ginny's parents in (nearly) the whole book. I'm not a parent, but, from a child's point-of-view, what happened in the book and the way it happened, is just not possible. I am 1000% sure that my parents would have never let me travel to a different continent at the age of 17, knowing that they would not be able to communicate with me on the phone. NO WAY!


Secondly, I thought that everything was just a little too rushed. Ginny opened an envelope, did what she was supposed to do and then went on to the next envelope; it was all going a little too fast in my opinion. I suppose that with 13 envelopes to open, the narration had to be a little faster to fit everything in, but I just felt that everything was rushed. I also found her aunt a little annoying... I do see the point of the letters and what her aunt was trying to do, but it didn't sound really realistic.


That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. It was a good read; an easy and quick book to read. I really enjoyed all the descriptions of places in the book. I've been to London and Rome, so I could remember some of the places described just like I saw them all those years ago. Especially Rome, with the lovely Santa Maria in Trastevere neighbourhood. I think I'll probably pick up the 2nd book in the series sometime in the future! I'd like to see where the story goes!


Rating: 5/10


Author:
Maureen Johnson is an American author. She was born in Pennsylvania and holds a degree in writing from the University of Delaware. Soon after graduation, she moved to New York City to study theatrical dramaturgy and writing at Columbia University School of Arts. She still lives in New York.
Her other books include:





For more information, you can check these out:

Counts as Book #36 in the 100 Books In A Year Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...