Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Beach Reads


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke And The Bookish. This week's Top Ten is about books that should be in our beach bags.

I have a slight problem with this one, as I don't have specific types of books that I read on the beach. (Though, having just said that, I would never EVER take my HP books to the beach. They would just get ruined) I just read whatever I am in the mood for at the time. So, this list is going to be rather varied.

In no particular order, here are my picks:


The Island and The Return by Victoria Hislop
In my opinion, The Island is loads better than The Return, but I think they're both very summery reads. The Island is a little depressing as it talks about the leper colony on Spinalonga (a little island off the coast of Elounda in Crete, Greece), but it is such a lovely story. I actually read this one while on holiday in Elounda quite a few years ago. I could actually see Spinalonga while I was reading the book! The Return is similar (as in, it's about a person who goes away to discover who they are etc), but it is set in Grenada, Spain.


Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
I know this one isn't very summery, but I read it while on holiday, sunbathing next to the pool and got burnt, because I did not want to put it down. So, I've associated it with summer!


Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
This a very beach-y book. It all takes place on the beaches inLyme Regis, where the two heroines, Mary Anning and Elisabeth Philpot look for fossils. It really is a lovely read.


A good thriller (eg. A Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver, Dark Places by Gillian Flynn)
I'm being rather vague here, but I usually end up reading at least one thriller during the summer months. So, I've just put a couple here, so you can get the picture!


Love Falls by Esther Freud
I recently read this one and, while I can't say I loved it, it seems as if it would make quite a good beach read. It's set in Italy and it's got beaches, pools, cute boys and a trip to Florence!


A good mystery book (eg The Magic Circle by Katherine Neville, Angels & Demons by Dan Brown)
I'm keeping this one vague, too! Just anything that might have a bit of mystery to it, really! Labyrinth and Sepulchre by Kate Mosse come to mind, too.


The Forgotten Garden and The House At Riverton by Kate Morton
I honestly love both these books! So, I don't know if you would classify them as summer reads, but they're books I'd recommend reading at any time during the year.


Bridget Jones' Diary and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding
These are just so funny! They'll probably have you cracking up on the beach. Though the films are loads better, in my opinion



Chick-lit books (eg books by Sophie Kinsella or Cecelia Ahern)
Well, this one is a bit of a no-brainer for me. I always end up reading some kind of chick-lit book when I'm on the beach. Believe me, I have read books that have been utter rubbish (but still fun) and others that are quite good and have some laugh-out-loud moments. Just what you need in the summer! Something nice and happy!

And last but not least,

Recipes for Cherubs by Babs Horton
I can't really remember what happens in this book, but I do remember enjoying it when I read it a few summers ago. If I am not mistaken, it is set in Italy and actually features the proper recipe for Foccacia bread. I think a re-read is in order!

What books are must-haves for your beach bag? 
Anything I should read this summer?

2 comments:

  1. That's a nice diverse list with some good recommendations.
    I love it when I read a book about a place where I have been, or even better when I am there and read about it at the same time. So I can imagine that when you read 'The Island' it was extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chick lit is my favorite type of beach read personally. Sometimes I'll pick up a thriller, but it's been a while.

    Check out my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...