Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Rockoholic


Rockoholic by C.J. Skuse
First published by Chicken House in 2011 (this edition by Chicken House in 2011)








Description: (from back cover)
Jody loves Jackson Gatlin. At his only UK rock concert, she’s right at the front. But when she's caught in the crush and carried back stage she has more than concussion to contend with. Throw in a menacing manager, a super-wired super-star, and a curly-wurly, and she finds herself taking home more than just a poster. It’s the accidental kidnapping of the decade. But what happens if you’ve a rock-god in your garage who doesn’t want to leave? Jody’s stuck between a rock-idol and a hard place!


My thoughts:
I picked this one up because I was in the mood for something light, girly and a little romance-y and I have to say it didn't disappoint! Rockoholic tells the story of Jody, a hardcore fan of the singer of The Regulators, Jackson Gatlin. She goes to the concert, only to find herself kidnapping him and taking him back to her home town of Nuffing-on-the-Wold. (The first time I saw the name, I actually thought it was a joke. But no, it's the actual name the author gave Jody's home town.) So, she hides him in her grandfather's garage


This book is funny, but it's also true. The whole point of the book (in my opinion) was to capture the hysteria you see quite often with teenagers (though it's not limited only to them) where they end up worshipping a certain idol (either from the music or film industry). They become blind-sided and try to imitate their idols, to the point of doing completely stupid things. This book does a great job of showing us exactly what happens when people are famous (which kind-of explains why so many musicians and actors are frequently admitted to rehab clinics to deal with all the palavah (is that the right spelling??) that comes with fame) and how it's completely different to what the fans think it is.


I thought that all the characters were rather well developed. You knew enough about them to understand why they acted in the way they did. I especially liked Mac (though his name is really bad - Mackenzie Lawless??). Jody was ok from the beginning of the book and Jackson grew on me after a while. Cree was an absolute pleasure and if you read the book, you'll know why! I could just imagine a little child like her in front of me! I have to say though, I had guessed a part of the story when I was only a few pages in, but it didn't spoil the book for me! I wanted to see how things went, so I had to finish it!


A fun read that tries to make rather meaningful point at the end of the story.


Rating: 6/10


Author:
C. J. (Claire Joanna) Skuse is a British author. She holds a First Class degree in Creative Studies in English, as well as an MA in Writing for Young People from Bath Spa University. She has published two books (Pretty Bad Things and Rockoholic) and is currently working on her third stand-alone novel for teenagers.




You can find C.J Skuse on Goodreads and on Tumblr.


Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011, British Books Challenge 2011


(Won from Sammee over at I Want To Read That)

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I really enjoyed the book myself. It's a light read with a few serious, downright dramatic moments. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! This sounds like a cute, fun read, and I DO have a soft spot for rock stars, haha. And thanks for being my 936th follower, though I'm pretty OCD about things either going 369 or 963. xD

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...