Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Wings



Wings by Aprilynne Pike
First published by HarperTeen in 2009 (this edition is the Kindle edition, published in 2009 by HarperCollins e-books)


Book #1 in the Wings trilogy




Description: (from Goodreads)

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.



My thoughts:

Wings is the second book I have read that features fairies (or maybe fearies/fae blah blah blah), the first one being Lament by Maggie Stiefvater (you can find my review here). I had seen it over a few blogs during the past few weeks, but only decided to download it when I saw a link on Alison's blog (Alison Can Read). To cut a long story short, Aprilynne Pike was organising a read-along of Wings on certain blogs, whom she offered various links so that their readers could download the book for free. I was one of them.

When I started reading the book, I was not sure exactly what to expect. But I was definitely NOT expecting what actually happened! I'm not going to give out any more information about that, lest I spoil the story for anyone who has not already read it. It was definitely a fresh take on the whole mythology surrounding faeries and I enjoyed that part of the story very much.

The main character, Laurel, is depicted to be blonde, thin, with translucent skin - perfect, in other words. It might come out as a little cliche'd, but when you understand why she is like that when the author comes to the explanation of the situation. The story revolves around the fact that Laurel turns out to be a faerie. She wakes up one day with what seems to be a huge spot (zit) on her back. After a week or so, the spot disappears and in its place is a set of flower petals that look a lot like wings (hence the title).

I liked all the characters in the book: Laurel, David, Chelsea and Tamani, as well as Laurel's parents. They all played some important role in some part of the story or another and they were all beautifully presented. My favourite character from this book would have to be David, though. He loves Biology (which you don't often see in books), he owns a microscope and is also able to take every weird thing that happens (and there are lots) in his stride. He proves to be a great help to Laurel. Such a great guy! Towards the end of the book, I started to rather like Tamani, too! I'm not sure what happens in the second book, but I hope Tamani features a little more in it. (I don't really like the name though... Much prefer plain Tam.)

All in all, it was a good book. It was very easy to read and very enjoyeable, without being particularly light and fluffy. I definitely want to read the next one in the series (Spells), to see what happens!

Rating: 6/10


Author:
Aprilynne Pike is an American author. She was born in Salt Lake City, but grew up in Phoenix, Arizona. She holds a BA in Creative Writing from Lewis-Clark State College, which she finished in only 3 years. She is married with three children and currently lives in Arizona.
Wings was her first book, but she has gone on to publish another two after it to add to the Wings series. The latest book, Illusions (or Wild in the UK) is coming out tomorrow!

Here are the covers of all the books:


US / UK


US / UK


US / UK

I just love the UK covers for this series... I like the first one in the US series, too, as it seems to fit the title a little better that the UK one. The other US ones are a little mediocre, in my opinion... They're not really eye-catching in the way that the UK ones are.

You can find out more about Aprilynne Pike here:

Counts as Book #33 in the 100 Books In A Year Challenge
Also counts towards the 1st In A Series Challenge.


1 comment:

  1. Great, honest review! I am sort of becoming interested in faeries, so I'm on the lookout for such fiction. Thanks for pointing out all of Pike's books dealing with the topic.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...