Thursday, 7 April 2011

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters

As I mentioned in my review of the first book in this series, I wasn't absolutely thrilled with this book. But I decided to give the second book a try and see if I liked it. So, here is my review of it.


Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
First published by Hyperion Books for Children in 2006 (this edition by Puffin Books in 2008)

Book #2 in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series


Description: (from Goodreads)
Percy Jackson’s seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get . . . well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy’s friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.

In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their beloved camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family -- one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon’s son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.



Opinions:
As you might know (if you read my review of The Lightning Thief), I did not love that book, as has been the case with many book readers. But I decided not to give up on the series and read the second book, The Sea of Monsters, in the hopes that it will just grow on me.


Honestly, I can't say I loved this book, either. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but on the same level as the first one. I liked the fact that it was set outside Camp Half-Blood and that Percy's affinity for water (being a son of Poseidon) is much more prominent. I suppose that also has to do with the fact that this book takes place nearly a year after the events in the first book, so he might have got more used to his powers...


Another thing I liked about this book, regardless of the fact that all the locations are messed up, was the fact that Mr. Riordan placed the Sea of Monsters in the Bermuda Triangle! I have to admit that was rather smart! I actually was not expecting it, so it was a pleasant surprise! Just like I actually liked the fact that the author set out Hades to be in L.A.! I know I don't live there, so I don't know what it's like, but it sounds like the perfect location for it. (I know this isn't very relevant, but I forgot to mention it in my review for the first book, so...)


One last thing I would like to say is that I rather like how Mr. Riordan is not too liberal with the number of different 'monsters' he uses in each book. After reading the first one, I thought ''Why has he mentioned so many of them in one book? What will he do with the rest of the books?''. But now, I realised that there are soooo many different monsters in Greek mythology, that he hasn't really run out of them...
(Shhh... Don't tell anyone... It's rather embarrasing, really...)


Rating: 6/10


Author:
You can find out more about Rick Riordan in my post on his other book, The Lightning Thief, which you can find here!


Counts as Book #24 in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge!
Also, counts towards the 2nd in a Series Challenge!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...