Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Covers I Wish I Could Redesign


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke And The Bookish.

I didn't do one of these last week, because I couldn't think of a single author to write about! I know! It's awful! I tried and tried, but I couldn't come up with anything! So, I just didn't do it in the end...

Anyway, on to this week! This week we have to choose our top ten book covers that we would redesign if we could. I'm not sure I will get ten, as I am not put off easily by what others consider to be bad covers, but I'll try! I'm also going to choose books that I already own, because it's a little easier than looking for bad book covers on the internet.

So, in no particular order:


1. A Calculated Risk by Katherine Neville
Honestly, who designed this cover?? I think it is just plain awful. I don't like the font and I definitely do not like that open lock. It doesn't really make much sense, as the book is about hacking. It's obviously meant to be figurative, but I still don't like it.



2. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
For some reason, I have never liked this cover. I haven't actually read the book (it's not the cover that's putting me off, but I never seem to be in the mood to read it), so I don't know if it makes sense, but I still don't like it. It looks like the eye is mad at me.



3. Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding
I am aware that there are not many covers of this book out there. There's this one, the one with Renee Zellwegger on it and the creepy one with the eyes on it. But there is something that I find unappealing in this cover, too. Probably the cigarette right in the middle of the cover. I hate cigarettes.



4. The Other Hand by Chris Cleave
Having read this book, I know what the photo is about. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. It's not what you might call remarkable, and it definitely would not make me want to pick it up. The only reason I got my hands on it was because I borrowed it from my Grandma, but I am glad I did. A nice story, but not a very nice cover.

I know we're only supposed to post the covers of books we would redesign, but I thought that the other covers for this book are quite nice: (Little Bee is the same book, just with a different title - for some reason.)



5. The Loop by Nicholas Evans
This cover isn't really interesting to look at. I'm not sure what that black blob in the middle is (though it might be the moon, with a halo of sun around it), but I am sure that the water and the ripples are not very relevant. The story is about wolves, so I would have thought they should feature a little on the cover. Though, having said that, I don't really like the other cover of this book that does have wolves...



6. The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
I honestly don't like the look of either of these covers. Each one of them has the rest of the series that is consistent with those particular covers (though I'm not going to put all of them here). Unfortunately, I own a copy of Uglies like the one on the left, and a copy of Extras like the one on the right. The other two books in the middle of the series haven't arrived yet (even though I ordered them more than a month ago). Anyway, I don't find either of these covers appealing. I much prefer the original ones (which I see everywhere because they have used them for the Greek editions). At least, I think they're the original ones...


I think that's it... Well, I suppose 6 is not that bad! I do have quite a few book covers that I just love, though! Hope there is a top ten about that at some point!

Which covers would you redesign if you had the chance???
Please leave a comment to your own list, so I can check it out!




4 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of any of the Uglies covers. They just don't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover of The Host reminds me Infected by Scott Sigler which is super creepy. And I have that Bridget Jones cover but I happen to like it but only because it's the British version and is a first edition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so interesting how publishers from different countries don't even stick with the same covers...Uglies is a good example of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thatnfirst Uglies cover is kind of horrifying. They did do a nice job with the redesign of Little Bee though.

    Here is my list http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/04/top-ten-tuesday-stop-embarassing-me.html

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...