Friday, 22 April 2011

Magic Study



Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder
First published by Mira Books in 2006 (this edition by Mira Books in 2006)


Book #2 in the Study Trilogy






Description: (from Goodreads)

You know your life is bad when you miss your days as a poison taster... 

With her greatest enemy dead, and on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago, Yelena should be pleased. But though she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways—and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better....
Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magic training—especially as she's been given one year to harness her power or be put to death. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince—and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians.
If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with all her new enemies....



My thoughts:
I was sooo happy when this book arrived in the post!! As soon as I finished reading 'Pretties', I picked it up and started reading this one! It took me a little longer to read than the first one, but that was only because I did not have as much time to read as I had with the first one.


At the end of Poison Study (you can find my review here), Yelena has got together with Valek (yay!!!) and she is on her way to Sitia to learn how to control her magic. So in this book, the main focus is how Yelena learns to use her magic. Obviously, that is not the only thing that happens, otherwise there wouldn't be much of a story. She finds her long-lost family, she makes friends, and she also meets a man who claims to be Ixia's long lost heir to the throne, the only member of the Royal family who was not killed when Commander Ambrose took over Ixia.


Magic Study was a really good book!! I liked Poison Study just a teensy-wheensy bit more, but that's just my opinion! I loved the added complication of magic in Yelena's life! The new setting of Sitia was very refreshing! I enjoyed Yelena's encounters with the beggars, which she had never even know existed (as in Ixia everyone has a job). She also now has a family! Yes, she belongs to the Zaltana clan! She also has a brother, who seems to hate her (and he's got a lovely name - Leif). You can tell he is a tormented soul though. I liked him from the beginning, even though he wasn't particularly nice to Yelena.


There is one more thing I would really love to say, but I'm not going to, as it would give away part of the story. It was something I had not thought would happen at all in this book, so I was quite happy to find that was not the case! Now I've puzzled you, haven't I?? Sorry, I don't know if the sentences even make proper sense... It's rather late as I am writing this. (I'm trying to be organised, so I am writing this earlier, so it's ready to post on the day you see it.)


If you haven't read this book, or Poison Study, then go read it!! Right away! Shooo!


Rating: 8/10


Author:
You can find out more info about the author, Maria V. Snyder, at the end of my review of Poison Study.



Counts as Book #31 in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge
Also counts towards my 2nds Challenge.


2 comments:

  1. I agree! I loved this series and at the time, I hadn't read anything like it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this series on my shelf too. I'm hoping to get to it soon as it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...