Saturday, 16 April 2011

Vampire Diaries: The Awakening & The Struggle (Books 1 & 2)

I kept seeing this book every time I went to the bookshop. I had heard about the TV series, but had never watched it. I knew the basic story, so I decided one day to just go ahead and get the book. So...


The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening + The Struggle (Books 1 & 2) by L.J. Smith
First published by HarperPaperbacks in 1991 (this edition by Hodder in 2009)


Books #1 & 2 in the Vampire Diaries Series


Description: (from Goodreads)
The Awakening
Elena Gilbert is used to getting what she wants and she wants mysterious new boy, Stefan. But Stefan is hiding a deadly secret - a secret that will change Elena's life for ever ...
The Struggle 
Elena is torn between her boyfriend, Stefan, and his brother, Damon. But these brothers hide dark secrets and a tragic past that threatens them all. Damon wants to lead Elena astray - and he'd rather kill Stefan than let him possess her ...


Opinions:
I only heard about this book when the TV series came out, but I wasn't really excited, so I didn't buy it. But I saw it every time I went to my local bookshop, so I decided to go for it. So I bought it and decided to give it a try and see if I liked it.


This book is actually two books. Each one of them is approximately (if not exactly) 200 pages long, so each book did not take long to finish. I'll start with the first book.


Just a warning. This review contains spoilers. If you have not read the book (which is probably not the case), then stop here!!!! Unless you don't mind spoilers. Consider yourselves warned!


The Awakening starts off by introducing us to the main character, Elena Gilbert. It is the start of a new school year and there is a new boy in class. So, she just has to have him. She has been characterised as the school's Ice Queen, but I just thought she was a total bitch ('scuse the language). But she honestly was! She is probably one of the most selfish and self-absorbed characters I have ever read about. I couldn't even understand why her friends hung out with her, when most of the time (after she got together with Stefan), she just ignored them. Another thing I didn't like at all was the romance. I am not a person who is put of by 'insta-romances' (as I believe they are called), but this one was just plain stupid. It went like this (approximately):
 - Elena wants Stefan.
 - Stefan ignores Elena (and everyone else, so it's not personal)
 - This goes on for quite some time when at some point
 - Something happens to Stefan
 - Elena says she loves him
That's it! I don't think they even had a proper conversation before Elena told him she loved him. So, I was a little put off by that.


One thing I did like was the ending. It wasn't because of what happened, but because of the fact that the way it was written made me want to go on reading the next book. So, on to the second book.


I preferred The Struggle to the first book. I suppose it was because Elena and Stefan are now an item, so that's over and done with. I liked the introduction of Damen into the picture, as he plays a much more central and important role in the story. And that's because he too wants Elena. So, we have a story where both boys want Elena, and Elena wants Stefan but dreams about Damen (and even meets up with him without Stefan knowing).


I liked the ending of this book, too, as it also makes you want to go onto the next book and find out what's going to happen.


I'm not quite sure about this book. I know quite a few people love it, but I can't say I did. I'm not saying that I will never read another book in the series, but what I read did not make me want to rush to the bookshop and get the next book, so I can start reading it straight away. Maybe sometime in the future!


Rating: 5/10


Author:
Lisa Jane Smith is an American author of young-adult literature. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Experimental Psychology from the University of California at Santa Barbara in 1987, followed by teaching credentials in Elementary education and Special education from San Francisco State University. She taught kindergarten and special education for several years before becoming a full-time writer. Her first book was 'The Night of the Solstice', which was published in 1987. Since then, she has written quite a few books, regardless of the fact that she had been on a writing hiatus from 1998 to 2008. Some of her books include:

  • The Vampire Diaries novel series
  • The Night World series
  • The Secret Circle trilogy
  • The Forbidden Game trilogy
  • The Dark Visions trilogy
  • as well as some short stories.
Here are some covers:



The cover on the left is the newest cover for the Vampire Diaries series. I have to admit I don't really like it. I much prefer the one I have, regardless of the fact that it's too Twilight-ish.

Some more info about the author can he found  on her official website (Click here!)


Counts as Book #27 in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge.
Also counts toward the 1st In A Series Challenge.


1 comment:

  1. I've often considered reading these, but something just keeps putting me off. I think when I get the chance I will definitely watch the TV series thou.

    I'm a new follower.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

    Jules x

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...