Tuesday, 12 April 2011

The Long Weekend

My first ever signed book!! Yay!!


The Long Weekend by Savita Kalhan
First published by Andersen Press Limited in 2008 (this edition published by Andersen Press in 2009)






Description: (from Goodreads)
Sam knows that he and his friend Lloyd made a colossal mistake when they accepted the ride home. They have ended up in a dark mansion in the middle of nowhere with man who means to harm them. But Sam doesn't know how to get them out. They were trapped, then separated. Now they are alone. Will either of them get out alive? 
This gripping and hypnotic thriller will have you reading late into the night.


Opinions:
The main reason I decided to read this book at the time I did was because I wanted a quick book to read, after The Loop. I was planning to read this book sometime soon, but I decided to just read it, as it would probably only take a few hours to read. 


This is a really short book. But I can say it is truly disturbing. It tells the story of two young boys, Sam and Lloyd, who make a BIG mistake when they just hop into a limo that stops and tells them to get in. It obviously happens due to a great misunderstanding, but it happens nonetheless. The story focuses mainly on Sam and his efforts to try and save them both. But don't take that the wrong way: that Lloyd was useless or too much of a coward to help. If you read the book, you will understand what I am trying to say.


While reading the book, there were quite a few hints of what was happening, but I suppose I just didn't want to see it. When it finally dawned on me, I realised why this book is not suitable for younger readers. I think you could probably give it to a 13-14 year old and they wouldn't mind it, but younger children might be distressed. That's just my opinion, though. If you are a parent, you should probably read this book yourself, before giving it to your children. Just to be on the safe side.


The ending of the book was the one that caused me the most confusion. I came to a completely and utterly wrong conclusion! I think you'll understand what I mean, if and when you get round to reading it yourselves.


All in all, I found this a rather good book, especially regarding the fact that it is a debut novel. I look forward to reading some more of Ms. Kalhan's works in the future!


Rating: 7/10


Author:
Savita Kalhan was born in India but moved to England when she was very young. She holds a Joint Honours degree in Politics and Philosophy from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth. She has travelled a lot over the years, but currently lives in the UK. She began writing when she went to live in the Middle East and got a job teaching English there. The Long Weekend is her first published novel.
For more information about Savita Kalhan, you can visit her website, SavitaKalhan.com.


Counts as Book #26 in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge and as Book #13 in my British Books Challenge 2011!







(Disclaimer: I received this book from the author for free, as part of a blog tour with giveaways. Everything stated above reflects my own views on the book. My review has not been influenced in any way.)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed it - in the way that it completely disturbed you. It is powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...