Thursday, 10 March 2011

Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief

Woo-hoo! At last, a review! It has taken me ages, I know... But I started reading The Moonstone and I just couldn't get into it!! It sounds very interesting, but it's soooo slow... So I decided to read other books at the same time, to see if it will help!


Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
First published by Hyperion in 2005 (this edition from Puffin in 2008)





Description: (from Goodreads)
Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he cant seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse. Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. Percys mom decides its time that he knew the truth about where he came from. She sends Percy to Camp Half-Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friendsone a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of AthenaPercy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.


Opinions:
I'd read quite a few things on other blogs about the Percy Jackson series. I'd also seen the film, when it came out last year (and actually enjoyed it, even though I don't think it was supposed to be that good). We had the book at home (my brother had bought it at some point), but I just hadn't got round to reading it. So finally the time came!


I can't say I was impressed. It was a good, quick read and it was quite enjoyable. I liked how he managed to link two conditions present in many children today (dyslexia and ADHD) with battle reflexes and the ability to read and understand Greek. I thought that was quite original!


But (and that's a big but...) I didn't like the fact that the Greek gods had moved to the 600th floor of the Empire State Building. Call me weird, but I'm half-Greek and I like the Greek gods to stay where they ought to stay - Mount Olympus in Greece... Not some equivalent of it in America. I know it wouldn't have been much of a story if the gods were still in Greece, but still, it's one thing I didn't like about the plot.


One thing I did enjoy about this book was the friendship that developed between Percy and Annabeth. They started off with the fact that their parents aren't friends, so they can't be either, but after what they went through, it was kind-of a moot point. I liked Annabeth's character though! She's one tough cookie (if that's the correct expression!).


One final comment: I actually enjoyed the film more than the book. Which doesn't happen very often...


Rating: 6/10


Author:
Rick Riordan was born and raised in Texas. He holds a double major in English and History from the University of Austin, Texas. He used to teach English and history (including Greek mythology) to middle-school children. He currently lives in San Antonio with his wife and two sons.
He has created many succesful series:
1. The Tres Navarre series, which have won multiple awards
2. The Camp Half-Blood series, which include the Percy Jackson books
3. The 39 Clues series, which he helped create and for which he wrote the first book
4. The Kane Chronicles, a new series which focuses on Egyptian mythology
He has won many awards for his books.
Here are the covers of some of his books:
The 39 Clues - Book 1: The Maze of Bones (source)
The Red Pyramid - Kane Chronicles Book 1 (source)
Big Red Tequila - Tres Navarre Series Book 1 (source)

If you want, you can check these out!

Counts as Book #16 in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge!

1 comment:

  1. Like your comment about the Greek Gods staying on Mount Olympus LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...