Friday, 15 July 2011

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin
First published by Arrow Books in 2004 (this edition by Arrow Books in 2004)









Description (from Goodreads):
The New York Times bestselling novel about a woman who falls in love with a man she shouldn't.
Rachel is an attorney living and working in Manhattan who has always been the good girl-until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend Darcy throws her a party. That night after too many drinks Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiance. Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for him.
As the September wedding date nears, Rachel has to choose. She discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk it all to win true happiness.



My thoughts:
I was in the mood for a fluffy, light read, and what better than some chick-lit! The main reason I chose Something Borrowed was because of the fact that the film adaptation of the book was released just recently and brought the book to my attention. I managed to snag a copy through Bookmooch, so it was a good deal!


The  main character in this book is Rachel, an 30 year old attorney living in New York. The actual story starts with the birthday party her best friend Darcy is throwing for her. That night, after far too many drinks, she ends up sleeping with Darcy's fiance, Dexter. And from then on, everything just gets complicated, seeing as Rachel and Dexter can't stop seeing each other.


This book is rather typical chick-lit, but that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it. It's pretty obvious that what Rachel and Dexter are doing is very wrong, but you can't help but feel happy for them when they manage to get together and when they talk. Darcy was the cheated one in this story, but I will admit to not liking her at all. She was really selfish and not a very nice character at all. She wanted everything and everyone to revolve around her and, frankly, she was a bit of a bitch.


From what I have found out, Emily Giffin has written a follow up to Something Borrowed, called Something Blue, which is about Darcy. Knowing me, I'll probably read it sometime soon, but I'm not THAT desperate!


All in all, Something Borrowed is some good chick-lit material. And I found it very easy to read!


Rating: 7/10


Author: 
Emily Giffin is an American author. She has a degree in law studies and actually practiced litigation with a law firm for a few years, before giving it all up and moving to London to try and make it as an author. She currently lives in Atlanta, having already published five bestselling novels.




You can find out more about Emily Giffin and her books on her website. (which I think is really pretty!)

Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011

5 comments:

  1. It's not usually my type of read but I must say after seeing the trailer for the movie I may read this after all. We all sometimes need something light and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I think! I like reading silly romance stories once in a while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently discovered this author and read 'Heart of the Matter'. She is now on my list of go to's when I want something easy and fun. I'll definitely read this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun and lighthearted summer read. I haven't seen the movie, but I prefer to read the book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to read loads of chick lit but I'm finding it harder to find authors I enjoy now. Though it's still good to have a bit of light-hearted romance on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...