Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
First publsihed by HarperCollins in 2010 (this edition by HarperCollins Children's Books in 2011)


Book #1 in the Paranormalcy series






Description (from Goodreads)

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal.

My thoughts
Now, this was a book where I did not get what I expected... Not that I am completely sure what I expected, but it was definitely not that. I though Paranormalcy was going to be just another paranormal romance-y type of a book, where the main character is a paranormal or wants a guy who is a paranormal and the whole book revolves around how they finally get to be in a relationship. Or something along those lines.

This book was such a pleasant surprise. One of the biggest ones was the fact that any and every paranormal that has ever been thought of (and a few more added in for good measure) has a place in this story. The main character, Evie, is not what you might call normal. She is 16, but she doesn't live with her family (as she doesn't really have one). She doesn't even go to school, like a regular teenager. Instead, she works for the IPCA (International Paranormal Containment Agency), capturing paranormals so that the Agency will be able to track them, mainly because of the fact that she can see through their glamours (i.e. the image they project to people). And on top of that, her best friend is a mermaid and her creepy ex-boyfriend is a faerie.

I am so happy I decided to pick up this book on my recent book shopping spree. Evie is such a wonderful and original character. She is full of life, despite the fact that life hasn't really been that kind to her. With the help of her beloved taser, which is pink, bedazzled and goes by the name of 'Tasey', she goes on any mission she is told to by the IPCA, while wearing her high heeled pink boots. Obviously not your typical badass heroine!

Lend was also such a lovely character. He is a shapeshifter and can take on the form of anyone he has seen. I was a little confused by the description of him at the beginning of the book, but I got used to it and I think I figured out what he looked out (well, not completely, but I did!). He is yet another of those wondeful characters who show us that you don't need to be a baddie to be a love interest. He's nice, cute and funny and has the added bonus of having actually attended a REAL high school!

There was also Ren, who was a bit of a creep-o. At the end, I sort-of understood why he was doing what he was doing, but he was still a creep. All in all, I really did enjoy this book and I am definitely going to be picking up the next book in the series, Supernaturally (which I believe comes out today - the 26th).

Rating: 8/10

Author:
Kiersten White is an American author, born and raised in Utah. She has written the award winning book for young adults, Paranormalcy, of which the sequel, Supernaturally, comes out today! (I hadn't planned this, it just happened!) And she's only 27! She currently lives in San Diego with her family.


You can find out more about Kiersten White from her website. You can also check out her blog, if you want!

Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011, 1st in a Series Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Why must you make me want to buy books when I am on a ban?

    I've seen this one around a lot but didn't read any reviews as I pegged it as 'just another paranormal romance' as you did. Sounds like a unique one though, I'll have to ad it to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! Definitely not what I was expecting! lol
    I was confused too by Lend's description but by the end of it I think I got it. Reth was creepy indeed...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...