Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Sleepwalking by Nicola Morgan

Sleepwalking by Nicola Morgan
First published by Hodder Children's Books in 2004 (this edition by Hodder Children's Books in 2004)

Description (from back cover):
Imagine being born into a world without wonder, where even your happiness is controlled.
A world where rain is programmed to fall, where mood state is at all times the same. Passive. Accepting.
But there are some citizens of this world, who refuse to have their story written for them. They are the Outsiders - and they risk death for their chosen life.
Now, even they are losing strength and heart. It is up to four 'chosen' teenagers to restore their hopes and dreams, and their stories ... for good.


My thoughts:
Sleepwalking is one of my favourite books ever. And I do mean EVER! I think I first read it 8 or so years ago, but I have read it time and time again over the years (which is pretty easy to do, as it's a rather short book). I still love it, though. Every single time.

The society in this book is weird, to say the least. It's probably the first dystopian society I ever read about in a book... People live in cities, which cater to their every need. They have special prescriptions, called pims and funks, which are specially adjusted to each person, so as to make them as calm as possible. Those prescriptions serve the purpose of keeping order within the city. Despite that, there are still guards around, to keep the Outsiders out of the cities, despite the fact that being an Outsider is not illegal.

There are four heroes in this book: Livia, Marcus, Tavius and Cassandra. The first three grew up in a completely sheltered environment, as opposed to Cassandra, who grew up as an actual Outsider and has seen much more than a girl her ages should have seen. They come from completely different circumstances, but they have a common purpose: to try and restore the world back to what it used to be before pims and funks.

The actual explanation as to how the whole situation came to be the way it was is really ingenious and one that is definitely appealing to children (like me!). I really liked how the author explained everything in the end. I'm not going to say anything else, because it's definitely going to be spoiler-y.

I will admit that this time around, I found this book a little too quick. Everything seemed to be happen very fast. I probably only just noticed it because I am a little older now. I was also very sad when I saw that it is now out of print. It's such a lovely book, it deserves to be out there for more children to read.

Rating: 10/10


Author:
Nicola Morgan is the author of numerous books for children and teenagers. As in, she has had nearly 90 books published. 90! On her website, you can find a lot of interesting little facts about her, such as:

  •  She used to go to an all boys’ school.
  • She has one leg longer than the other.
  • Each time she has a new book contract, she buys new boots.
  • She used to be a professional cook.
Sleepwalking and Mondays Are Red are currently out of print, but she has loads of other books she has written, such as Fleshmarket, Deathwatch, The Highwayman's Curse and Wasted.


You can find out more about Nicola Morgan and her books HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! YOU made my day by leaving this review of Sleepwalking! I have some news for you: quite soon i'm planning to re-publish Sleepwalking on Kindle. I'd love to quote some of your review when i do that. :))

    Best wishes and thanks again, Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sits staring at comment for a few minutes*

    Wow! Thank you so much for reading my review! I am so glad you are planning to re-publish it! It really is one of my favourite books ever! And of course you can quote whatever you like!! (It really goes without saying) :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...