Sunday, 3 July 2011

Camille by Tess Oliver

Camille by Tess Oliver
Self-published book (first published as an e-book in 2010, my edition is the paperback published by CreateSpace in 2011)


Description (from back cover):
At a time when society conforms to the strictest rules and most proper etiquette, sixteen-year-old Camille Kennecott and her guardian, Dr. Bennett, live a most unconventional life. They hunt werewolves.

When unwitting victim, Nathaniel Strider, wanders into one of their full moon pursuits, Camille and Dr. Bennett believe they have found a specimen for their study. Finding a scientific key to unlocking the mystery of lycanthropy would end their late night excursions.



My thoughts:
Camille has had the privilege being the first self-published book I have ever read. I won a copy of it from Vickie over at Coma Calm's Corner and will admit to putting it off, purely because of the fact that it is self-published and I was a bit dubious. However, I finally decided it was stupid not giving it a chance. Just because it is self-published, does not automatically mean it's not good.


Camille is a werewolf tale, which doesn't follow all the bad things werewolves seem to do when they're under the influence of a full moon. The story starts off with how they get to meet Nathaniel Strider, who gets bitten while on a scavenging trip in the cemetery where Camille and Dr Bennett are waiting to clear some business with another werewolf. 


The whole story is set in the Victorian London and Tess Oliver has managed to convey the feeling of that particular era; what was allowed and what was not, dress codes, all the 'dodgy' areas in London. Another thing I believe she has managed to incorporate in a perfect way in this book is the knowledge of biology in that period in time. She has definitely done some reasearch!


One of the things I liked best about this book was the fact that it did not focus on the bad things that werewolves can cause. The whole story takes place within a month, from one full moon until the next. In that time frame, it is up to Camille and Dr Bennett to try and come up with a cure against werewolfism (??), so as to save Nathaniel. We also meet a few other characters and get background information on how Camille came to be living with Dr Bennett, as well as some other tidbits. The other thing I loved about this book was the fact that one of the characters was named Nathaniel. I know it might sound weird (and a little shallow), but I do love that name...


All in all, I really enjoyed this book and will be looking out for more of her writing in the future.


Rating: 7/10


Author:
Tess Oliver is a teacher and writer from California. She is the author of three books, including Camille. Her other two books can be seen here (I've linked to their respective Goodreads pages).




For more information about the above books, you can also visit Tess Oliver's website HERE.

Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about putting off reading indie books purely for the fact that they're indie. My first experience with an indie books wasn't quite as positive as yours, I have to say :-/

    All the same, this one sounds like a nice read. (And you're not alone, I often like/dislike characters/books because of their names)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name Nathaniel too! When I first got this book I was hesitant but I'm glad I read it. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, glad you liked it! I'd been wanting to read this one for forever and found it for a great deal on amazon. Looking forward to reading my copy!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...