Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
First published by Simon & Schuster BFYR (this edition by Simon Pulse in 2010)


Book #1 in the Hush, Hush series






Description (from Goodreads):
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.


My thoughts
Hush, Hush was one of those books I had been avoiding. I remember seeing it in the bookshop half a year or so ago and thinking 'Not another fallen angel book'. Not that I've read many of them, but I just had the feeling it would be the same all over again. (Which I know is a pretty unfair generalisation to make, but I still made it.) I had pretty much decided I wasn't going to read it, when a copy of it became available on Bookmooch. I decided to give it a try and I have to say I am very glad I did so.

Hush, Hush was definitely nothing like Fallen (by Lauren Kate - which is the one I can compare to). Patch is a completely different fallen angel to Daniel. He's dark and sinister and works in a completely different way. But before I get onto the characters in this story, I must say something about the story itself.

Hush, Hush tells the story of Nora Grey. Nora lives with her mother in a house in the middle of nowhere. She goes to school with her best friend Vee, with who she also sits during Biology class. But then, quite unexpectedly, their teacher decides everyone should change seats and sit with someone they haven't chosen (as a sort of experiment). That's how Nora ends up meeting Patch. The thing about Patch is that, even though Nora says she doesn't like him, she's very attracted to him, making matters rather difficult. Patch seems to know so much about her; even more than her friends and that unnerves her.

One thing I noticed about this book is, once again, the absence of parental figures. Nora's father is dead (and there's obviously something sinister going on - judging from that very frustrating and teasing first chapter of Crescendo at the end of the book), but her mother never seems to be there. The author did come up with a good idea for having her absent for such long periods in time, but still, it's becoming a little too commonplace, seeing characters without parental supervision/guidance in books. As for the actual characters, Nora was ok, Patch was more than ok (and a little bad-ass too!) and I couldn't really connect with Vee.

I am very glad I decided to give this book a chance, in the end! It sure wasn't what I expected and I liked that. I am definitely hoping to read Crescendo sometime soon!

Rating: 8/10


Author:
Becca Fitzpatrick is an American author. She has a degree in health, which she abandoned in favour of telling stories. Her first book, Hush, Hush, debuted as a New York Times bestseller. She lives in Colorado.
The other books in her Hush, Hush series are:


Crescendo  |  Silence (Out on the 4th of October)

Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011, 1st in a Series Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Yaay! So glad you liked it :)

    Hush, Hush definitely isn't anything like Fallen. Do you already have Crescendo or do you have to buy it still?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hush Hush was the first book about Angels and Patch still hasn't convinced me yet but I would have to read Crescendo and see. Great review. I didn't connect with Vee either. I found her very annoying.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...