Wednesday, 27 July 2011

A Season of Eden by Jennifer Laurens

A Season of Eden by Jennifer Laurens
First published by Grove Creek Publishing in 2008 (this edition by Grove Creek Publishing in 2008)








Description (from Goodreads)
He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible.
I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us. "I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him. He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said.



My thoughts
I was planning on getting round to this book sometime soon, but the time came sooner rather than later as it is a rather short book and I wanted to finish another book during the Once Upon A Read-a-thon I participated in. It was a really easy book to read, very well written, the plot was easy to follow and each event came naturally after the previous one. However, I can't say I loved this book. I liked it well enough to want to read something else by Jennifer Laurens, but didn't really love it.


A Season of Eden deals with the rather taboo concept of a relationship between a teacher and a student. Something which is prohibited by law (if I am not mistaken), as usually, one half of the party is underage. Anyway, in this book we follow the story of Eden and James (also known as Mr. Christian), as the student and teacher respectively. Eden is 18 and James is 22, so the age gap is not so large. But the fact that James is Eden's music teacher poses a bit of a problem, as James could lose his position if he became involved in a relationship with a student. The thing is that even though you understand why it's wrong, you end up rooting for them and wanting them to be together!


Eden was not a character I could really relate to. She was a bit of a bitch, as well as quite a bit selfish. She has obviously had a tough time growing up, but throughout the book, she just comes of as a very spoilt rich girl, who is accustomed to getting what she wants, even if what she wants can get others into trouble. The good thing about her was that she did do a fair bit of growing up during the course of the story. James, on the other hand, was just plain dreamy! He is a musician (with a fair share of talent) and he's young and extra good-looking. But what I liked most was the fact that he tried to remain as level-headed as possible.


I was a little disappointed about how the story ended. I wanted to know more about the two characters. But I do understand why Jennifer Laurens chose to end it where she did. All in all, it was an ok story, with a mix of characters, but a lovely style of writing. I will definitely be picking up another one of Jennifer's books!


Rating: 6/10


Author:
Jennifer Laurens, also writing as J.M. Warwick, is the author of several YA romance books. She currently lives in Utah. Her books include:






You can find out more about Jennifer Laurens and her books by visiting her website and her blog!

Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011


1 comment:

  1. I don't know why exactly, but I find books with a 'taboo subject' strangely interesting. Student-teacher relationships in particular tend to be quite engrossing books/films/story lines.

    I know your rating is average and I will probably want to slap Eden (I'm not a huge fan of rich bitch characters), but this still sounds like a really good books :) *adds to wishlist*

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...