Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Underrated Books


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke And The Bookish.

I haven't done one of these lists in ages.... Ooops... They were just really hard ones for me to come up with enough to write to justify a top ten post, so I just didn't do them... Anyway, I'm back now, with this week's top ten post being about the top ten books we believe are underrated. I don't know if I'll make it to ten, but I'll try!

So, in no particular order,



1. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
I don't know if this one actually is underrated or not, but I, for one, haven't really heard that much about it. I think it has been lost a little because of the fact that Meyer also wrote the extremely popular Twilight books. I can go as far as saying that, even though I had been avoiding The Host for nearly two years, when I finally did read it, I enjoyed it a lot more than the Twilight books. (My review HERE)



2. Sabriel by Garth Nix
I read this book many, many years ago. I actually own a hardback copy of it for some reason or another (and it's one of the very few that I own). Since I started blogging and looking through people's ''read'' lists, I don't think I've seen it a lot. And I think it's a pity. Sabriel was one of the first fantasy books I ever read and I really enjoyed it. And I've never read anything like it since then. I have been wanting to get my hands on the next two books in the series, Lirael and Abhorsen, for years, but I still haven't.



3. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
I only read this book this year, even though I had had it sitting on my bookshelf for at least a year before that. And I can say that it is one of my favourite books ever. Diane Setterfield's writing is just amazing and the whole story just kept me wanting to read on and on and on, until quite late into the night. (My review HERE)



4. Any book by Scarlett Thomas
To be fair, I have only read The End of Mr Y and PopCo by her (but not our Tragic Universe), but she writes too well for you to miss out on her books. Plus, you'll learn a lot of weird metaphysical and logic stuff at the end. (My review of PopCo HERE)



5. Tyme's End by B.R. Collins
I won this book as part of a prize pack and when I finally got round to reading it, I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure what I expected, but it was so much better than that. It's a children's book, but the writing is very good and the story is engaging. It leaves you guessing at the end of every chapter and you just want to keep reading. (My review HERE)



6. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
I happened to find this book, when I was looking for her other book (Sharp Objects). Though I had only heard of Sharp Objects before (mainly through my brother, whose friends had read it), after I had read both, I realised that I preferred Dark Places just a teeny bit more. To be honest, I don't think I've heard it being mentioned anywhere even after having read it. Shame, because it really is a good book. I know crime novels/thrillers aren't for everyone, but it is a brilliantly written story. (My review HERE)



7. Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier
I have only read two books by Tracy Chevalier and they don't include Girl With A Pearl Earring, the book she is most well known for. Burning Bright is one of them (the other being Remarkable Creatures) and I've loved them both. I think Remarkable Creatures is a little more well known, but I don't think I know anyone who has read Burning Bright. I loved the two main characters in it, as well as the story, and I do recommend giving it a try! (My review HERE)

I think that's it... But yay! I made it to 7! To be honest, I didn't think I was going to make it that far!

Which books do you think are underrated?? Books that you have enjoyed but not really heard much about elsewhere??

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree about The Host. I really enjoyed the Twilight series but I thought the Host was much better so I really hope Meyer gets herself in gear and finishes this series!

    Ohh, good :D Scarlett Thomas is good (and educational :P) You better be right about that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your list and I keep hearing good things about the Host. I think the anti-Twilight camp makes people not want to read it, but I hear that her writing quality is better in the Host. I liked Twilight anyway.

    Check out mine at The Scarlet Letter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, The Thirteenth Tale! I'm wondering why it hasn't been made into a movie yet. Not that a movie could do it justice, but it would still be cool to see it played out visually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The covers of the books by Scarlett Thomas are so beautiful that the stories themselves have to be great!

    Here's my Top Ten post for this week: Top Ten Underappreciated Books
    And don't forget to stop in and sign up to win in the Readerbuzz August Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen The Host on a few lists today, which really proves that the good things I've heard about it are true. I'm definitely going to give it a chance now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Host too. Took awhile to get into it, but it was a mature, complicated book. Much better written than Twilight, but I still prefer Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think Sabriel is underrated, I see it a lot in my fantasy circles ^^

    Scarlett Thomas! Yes! I read The End of Mr Y a couple of weeks ago and OMG MIND BLOWN! I need to write up my review for that one, may go up in a couple of weeks ish. I'm not sure about PopCo but Our Tragic Universe sounds equally brilliant.

    Once Upon A Time

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had The Tirthteenth Tale on my TBR pile for a few years and still haven't read it. But I did read Burning Bright and absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...