Sunday, 25 July 2010

Dark Places

I only realised after I had posted the last post, that it was only a day after the previous one!! Gosh, was I quick!! I suppose I found ''The Interpretation Of Murder'' quite easy to write about!
On to the new book! Today, I am going to write about a thriller. I absolutely hate watching them but I really really enjoy reading them! Probably because my imagination does not make anything look so gruesome or psychotic or weird or perverted like they do in films... The book I am going to write about is Gillian Flynn's ''Dark Places''.







You can find it with either one of these covers.








The book tells the story of the Day family, who are famous for what is known as the ''Farmhouse Satan sacrifices''.
Libby Day was seven years old when her brother Ben massacred her family. At that time, she gave evidence to help put him away. Now, more than 20 years after the massacre, Libby Day is lonely, jobless and broke. So when she is offered a chance to get $500 just to make an appearance for the Kill Club, she jumps at the chance. But the Kill Club believe that Ben is innocent and they want Libby's help so they can prove it. So suddenly, Libby finds herself thinking that Ben might not have done it. So she sets out on a journey to see what she can find out; with the aid of the Kill Club, of course.
The book is split into chapters which are alternately set in the present and on the 2nd and 3rd of January 1985 (the day before and the day of the murders). The ones in the present are all (but the last) narrated from Libby's perspective. The ones in 1985 are narrated from Patty's (the mother) and Ben's perspectives. That way, we find out what happened on the day before (and the day of) the murders while Libby (in the present day) is going around looking for people who can give her information, which could prove that her brother is innocent.
This book was the first thriller I read in ages! (I think the last thriller I had read was ''Thirteen Steps Down'' by Ruth Rendell about 4 or 5 years ago (maybe more...!).) I have to say I enjoyed the book a lot!! It wasn't fun or anything (i mean, it IS a thriller) but it made me want to finish it as soon as possible, so that I could find out who did it in the end... I started reading it without actually planning on it. I wanted to go the beach one day and I had already started reading another book (Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, which I will write about some other time), which I thought was a bit too serious to take to the beach. So I opened the cupboard where we keep the books (they don't fit anywhere else...), I saw the book and thought I might as well try it! I had originally bought it for my brother, who really wanted ''Sharp Objects'', but I couldn't find it anywhere... (And when I say anywhere, I mean I could find it in Crete and I couldn't find it in any bookshop in Athens! That really is pathetic...).
If I were to rate this book, I would give it a definite 8/10, because it is a genuinely good book. If you think about the fact that it is only her second book, it's very very very good. And as her first book, ''Sharp Objects'', was loved by the critics, I believe it is safe to say that she is a very very good writer. Here is the cover of ''Sharp Objects'', which is about a girl who has the tendency to write words on herself using sharp objects (hence the title...).




And last but not least, some information about the author. Gillian Flynn was born in Kansas City and obtained a degree in English and journalism from the University Of Kansas. She went on to do a master's degree on journalism and then tried becoming a crime repoter. She finally gave up, claiming she was too ''wimpy'' for such a thing. She then started working at Entertainment Weekly, first visiting film sets all over the world, and then as a television critic. To date she has written the two books mentioned on this post, ''Sharp Objects'' and ''Dark Places''. 
Here are some links on the books and the author, for anyone who is interested!
Gillian Flynn Official Site
Gillian Flynn on Wikipedia
''Dark Places'' on Amazon
''Sharp Objects'' on Amazon

Bye for now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...