Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpartick

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
First published by Simon & Schuster Children's Books in 2010 (this edition by Simon & Schuster Children's Books in 2010)


Book #2 in the Hush, Hush series
(My review of: Hush, Hush)




Description (from Goodreads)
Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn’t pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it. But Patch has been acting anything but angelic lately. He’s more elusive than ever and, even worse, he’s started spending time with Nora’s arch-enemy, Marcie Millar.
Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who’s moved back to town, if Patch hadn’t been acting so distant. Even with Scott’s totally infuriating attitude Nora finds herself drawn to him – despite her lingering feeling that he’s hiding something.

Haunted by images of her murdered father, and questioning whether her Nephilim bloodlines has anything to do with his death, Nora puts herself increasingly dangerous situations as she searches for answers. But some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything – and everyone – she trusts.



My thoughts
Crescendo is the second book in the Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick and continues with the same story which started in Hush, Hush, approximately 4 months after the events in the first book. For those of you who have read my review of Hush, Hush (there is a link up there, if you would like to check it out), you will know that Hush, Hush was one of those books that I had been avoiding, because of the fact that it seemed to me that it was just another fallen angel story. When I did get round to reading it (which was because I managed to get my hands on a cheap copy of it), I will admit to enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. So, when one of my friends lent it to me, I read it straight away! (Well, that and the fact that I couldn't choose which book to take with me on my holidays, so I just took that one).


Since Crescendo is the second book in the series, this review will definitely contain spoilers about the things which happened in Hush, Hush. So, only proceed to the next paragraph, if (a) you've read Hush, Hush or (b) you don't mind spoilers.


By the end of Hush, Hush, Patch and Nora were pretty much in a relationship. But only a few chapters into the story, everything goes downhill for very little reason. On top of the fact that Nora and Patch break up, Patch can more often than not be found with Marcie Millar, a girl Nora has never been friends with. On top of THAT, there is also the arrival of Scott, an old family, after many years away, who also acts as if he has something to hide. And to make matters even better, Nora is haunted by the image of her father, who was murdered nearly a year before the events in Hush, Hush.


All of that sounds as if it could make up a really good story. And it does, only not as good a one as Hush, Hush. I am going to be very shallow here and admit to not liking it as much because there wasn't as much interaction between Patch and Nora as I would have liked. Other than that the story was perfectly engaging. There were plenty of things going on in the book, especially including Patch, Marcie Millar and Scott (though not necessarily all at the same time) and they did make me want to read on and on, to find out what happened next, why it happened etc. And there was that ending! I did quite honestly not see that one coming. Up to a certain point in the novel, I was convinced of the worst, when suddenly BANG! Something happened that I could never had predicted! And I liked that.


All in all, Crescendo was a rather enjoyable book, marginally less so than Hush, Hush and I will definitely (definitely!) be reading Silence when it comes out. Plus, I have to get my hands on a copy of Crescendo for myself.


Rating: 7/10


Author:
You can find out more about Becca Fitzpatrick at the end of my review of Hush, Hush.




Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011, 2nd In A Series Challenge

2 comments:

  1. I much preferred Hush, Hush to Crescendo, too. I really think Nora's character changed between the books and I didn't enjoy it that much. Like you said though, still sticking around for Silence :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky you liked it. I was captivated but Hush, Hush but Crescendo made me not to go on with the series :/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...