Thursday, 11 August 2011

The Time Will Come (2)


The Time Will Come is a great meme hosted by Jodie over at Books For Company. The point of this meme is to list a book that has been sitting on our bookshelves unread for too long and we have been meaning to get round to for ages!

This week's pick is:

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins, "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them." His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

We had this one on the bookshelf for nearly a year now and I still haven't got round to reading it! I always seem to be picking something else up and not that one. I've heard good things and bad things about it and I really want to get round to reading it, so that I can see what I think of it! 

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read it, but it's a classic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a little over a year ago and while it was a good book, I think all the symbolism and whatnot was lost on me :P Still, it was a pleasant enough read - and a quickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up this edition about a year ago too in an indie bookshop in South Wales! I really should read it sometime..

    Once Upon A Time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh is it bad I don't think I have ever seen this let alone heard about it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...