Saturday, 27 August 2011

On My Wishlist (3)



On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It's where we list all the books we desperately want but haven't actually bought yet. They can be old, new or forthcoming.


Anyway, on this week's wishlist we have:


Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly


BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break. 
PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape. 
Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present. 

From what I've heard, Revolution is an excellent book, but the main reasons I want to read it are a) because it's historical fiction and b) because I've only read A Gathering Light by the same author and would love to read something else by her!

 Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

The Major leads a quiet life valuing the proper things that Englishmen have lived by for generations: honor, duty, decorum, and a properly brewed cup of tea. But then his brother's death sparks an unexpected friendship with Mrs. Jasmina Ali, the Pakistani shopkeeper from the village. Drawn together by their shared love of literature and the loss of their respective spouses, the Major and Mrs. Ali soon find their friendship blossoming into something more. But village society insists on embracing him as the quintessential local and her as the permanent foreigner. Can their relationship survive the risks one takes when pursuing happiness in the face of culture and tradition?


This one just sounds very interesting. I've been wanting to read it ever since I saw a review of it (I cannot remember where that was, though) and I hope it's not to long before I do!


4 comments:

  1. I have Revolution and hope to read it soon!


    Tia @ Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get your books. This week I'm wishing for a new book by Sarah Weeks. Please come see what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that they both sound interesting. I hope you can get your hands on them soon.

    On My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Revolutions on my shelf and still haven't read it. I can't wait to though!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...