Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Pet Peeves


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke And The Bookish. Today we have to talk about are top ten bookish pet peeves. I have to say here that I have never really liked the word 'peeves', but I couldn't go around saying 'top ten things that annoy me about books', as that just sends off the wrong message. I doubt I will be able to come up with ten, as I am not a person who can be easily annoyed.

Sooo...

1. When people leave their books open and upside down so as not to miss their page
This annoys me soooo much! It's one thing I try never to do to books, as it cracks their spines and may even result in missing pages. Most of the times, you just end up with a book that is not flat, and I hate that... My brother does it sometimes and I have to say it really annoys me! That's what bookmarks are for! If you don't have a bookmark, try to find something else to use (napkin, tissue, receipt).

2. When people fold over the corner of a page so as not to miss their page
I know loads of people who do that. I remember quite a few of my friends doing it to their school book. I just can't do it. It ruins the page. Again, use a bookmark.

3. Stickers on book covers
That includes price stickers that the bookshop thought best to place right on top of the book description... I mean, why would anybody do that??? Also, I don't like seeing stickers on the front covers of books, even if their presence means that the particular book is on some sort of offer. Fortunately, most of them come off pretty easily. (Though, having said that, I don't always take them off...)

4. Scribbles inside books
I don't like it when people write inside books. By that, I don't mean writing on one of the first pages (which might be a dedication from a friend or the author). That I like, as it makes the book a little more personal. But I really don't like it when I find doodles in the pages of the main narrative of the book, just because whoever was reading it at the time was holding a pen and decided to doodle.

5. Seeing new books with bent covers in bookshops
Quite a few bookshops just don't treat their books right. They just throw them around or dump them on the floor, which results in bits of dust all over them and/or bent or dented covers. Show some respect to the people who are going to buy them from you!

That's it! I don't easily get annoyed by the stories inside the books, which is why I haven't put any here. I might not love inconsistencies, but not to the point of being annoyed by them!

Which are your bookish pet peeves?? 
Feel free to comment and leave the url to your own list for me to read!

2 comments:

  1. I would put all five of those on my list as well! Especially stickers on books, I buy from Waterstone's 3 for 2 and I hate having to pick them off.

    Thank you for coming over to my blog and leaving such a friendly comment. I'm now a follower here and I look forward to getting to know you better! :)

    I hope you are having a great day

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these! It's just... YES! What I hate is gender-oriented books. One time I got this really good book, but on the cover it said, "Perfect for GIRLS of all ages." I liked even though I was a boy, but I had to hide the cover!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...