Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Slam

My second Nick Hornby book! I''l probably read my third one in a month or so, as there is a copy of Juliet, Naked somewhere on the bookshelf. On to this review, then!


Slam by Nick Hornby 
First published by Penguin Books in 2007 (this edition by Penguin Books in 2008)







Description: (from back cover)
''There was this time when everything seemed to have come together. And so obviously it was time to go and screw it all up.'
Sam is sixteen and a skater. Just so there are no terrible misunderstandings: skating = skateboarding. There's no ice. Life is ticking along nicely for Sam: his mum's just got rid of her rubbish boyfriend, he's thinking about college and he's met someone. Alicia.


Then a little accident happens. One with big consequences for someone just finding his way in life. Sam can't just run (let alone skate) away from this one. He's a boy facing a man's problems and the question is - has he got what it takes to confront them?


Opinions:
I enjoyed this book so much! It's only my second book by Nick Hornby, but I have to say he writes wonderfully! It was in no way similar to High Fidelity (you can find my review here). I am only saying that because quite a few authors tend to write in the same way (that they have found to work for them), regardless of what topic they are writing about. Anyway, on to the actual review now.

This book is about a boy, Sam, who meets a girl, Alicia, and everything seems to be going ok. But then something happens. The back cover describes it as an accident. Now, what would you think this could be?? It involves a boy and a girl. So, yes, obviously the book is about teenage pregnancy. Don't go blaming me I've spoilt the book for you. I think it's mentioned in the book in either the 1st or 2nd chapter. So, you do find out soon enough. If you haven't already sussed it out from the back cover.

I can't remember if I have read a book before that deals with the issue of teenage pregnancy, but I have to say that the author went about it wonderfully. He's caught the whole thrill of a relationship, the cooling off, the unexpected pregnancy and the 'telling-the-parents' parts and he has described them in a way that is completely and utterly believable. In my opinion (even though I have not had any teenage pregnancy cases among my friends and family), the way that the author describes the whole process in the book, is also the way it actually happens in real life. There is not one part of it that I wouldn't have believed.

I loved all the main characters in this book: Sam and Alicia, as well as their parents. They all seemed to react in exactly the way I would expect them to react, if they had been my parents. Well, not exactly, but I think you will understand what I mean, if you get round to reading it!

Rating: 8/10


Author:
You can find out more about Nick Hornby from my review of his book, 'High Fidelity', which you can find here.

Counts as Book #22 in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge and as Book #11 in my British Books Challenge 2011!

1 comment:

  1. Good review. I really like Nick Hornby. Thought High Fidelity was great. Not read this one but I'll look out for it now.
    Thanks
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...