Thursday, 27 October 2011

The Time Will Come (8)



The Time Will Come is a great meme hosted by Jodie over at Books For Company. The point of this meme is to list a book that has been sitting on our bookshelves unread for too long and we have been meaning to get round to for ages!

This week's pick is:

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

A novel set mostly in Afghanistan. The introverted and insecure afghan narrator, Amir, grows up in Afghanistan in the closing years of the monarchy and the first years of the short-lived republic. His best and most faithful friend, Hassan, is the son of a servant. Amir feels he betrays Hassan by not coming to his aid when Hassan is set on by bullies and furthermore forces Hassan and his father Ali to leave his father´s service. Amir´s relatively priviledged life in Kaboul comes to an end when the communist regime comes to power and his extrovert father, Baba emigrates with him to the U.S. There Amir meets his future, afghan wife and marries her. Amir´s father dies in the U.S. and Amir receives a letter from his father´s most trusted business partner and, for a time, Amir´s surrogate father, which makes Amir return, alone, to a Taliban-dominated Afghanistan in search of the truth about himself and his family, and finally, a sort of redemption.

We've had this book for ages. I really do mean that. It's possible it's been sitting on our shelves since 2004 or 2005. I haven't read it yet and, to my knowledge, neither has my brother. I remember my Grandma telling me about this book and how good it was, but for some reason I can't remember, I acted like a big snob and refused to even try reading it. And then, I just forgot about it. The only reason I remembered its existence is because we are currently going through all our books and putting them into boxes to move to our new house. But, now I am a bit older, I think I must give this one a try. Hopefully soon!

5 comments:

  1. We had to read this last year for English and while I was a tad reluctant at first (because I thought it'd just go over my head), it really was brilliant. I wouldn't peg it as a page turner, but there are some absolutely stunning moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie and thought it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend read this one for college and really enjoyed it. I believe the author came and spoke to them too. I liked the movie a lot but never got around to reading the book. Hope you do sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone who has read this says it's fantastic. I haven't read this one but I've read A Thousand Splendid Suns by this author (which was fantasic)and I liked the movie! Hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an amzing book, you will be kicking yourself that you didn't read it sooner!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...