Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

Sister by Rosamund Lupton
First published by Piatkus in 2010 (this edition by Piatkus in 2011)


Description (from Goodreads)

Nothing can break the bond between sisters... 
When Beatrice gets a frantic call in the middle of Sunday lunch to say that her younger sister, Tess, is missing, she boards the first flight home to London. But as she learns about the circumstances surrounding her sister's disappearance, she is stunned to discover how little she actually knows of her sister's life - and unprepared for the terrifying truths she must now face. 
The police, Beatrice's fiance and even their mother accept they have lost Tess but Beatrice refuses to give up on her. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.

My thoughts
Sister was not at all what I expected it to be. By that, I don't mean that I was expecting it to be a bright and light hearted read, but I definitely did not think it was going to be as it turned out to be (I am being purposely mysterious, because I don't know how else to phrase what I want to say and not spoil the book for you.)

The main character in Sister is Beatrice (or Bee). The whole book is actually a narration of the events that happened four months prior to the present time (of the book), with Beatrice telling the story from the beginning - when she gets a call from her Mother who tells her that her sister, Tess, has been missing for four days - as part of her testimony to Mr Wight, a lawyer who is keeping track of all the records and testimonials.

It is discovered quite early on that Tess is dead, something which was obvious from the first few pages of the novel. I found it rather weird that the author would choose to have the discovery of Tess' death so early on in the novel, but, since she did choose to, it became obvious that the book is not the story of Beatrice trying to find her sister alive, but rather of trying to find out exactly what happened to her, seeing as everyone else believes it to be a suicide.

The story is a very well written one, and though it kept me wanting to find out what happens in the end, it wasn't one that made me feel like I just had to read one more chapter; and then another; and then another. The characters were easy to relate to and down-to-earth, with a few cases of "worship" (you can't speak ill of the dead, can you?) and others of irritating/selfish/slap-worthy personalities. But what surprised me the most was the ending. Or maybe - to make myself more clear - the chapters leading up to the ending. Parts of them just seemed to come out of nowhere and they actually left me stunned (not the best word, but I couldn't find another one...)

All in all, Sister was a good book that is worth reading, even if you're not really into mystery/thriller/detective stories. It just wasn't one that I can say I absolutely loved. I really did like the author's writing style, so I will definitely be trying out her new book, Afterwards!

Rating: 6/10


Author:
Rosamund Lupton studied English Literature at Cambridge University. After she got her BA, she first worked as a freelance reviewer and copyeditor and then, went on to become a full-time screenwriter for BBC and independent film companies. Sister was her first novel and her second novel, Afterwards, just came out in the UK.



You can find more about Rosamund Lupton from her website.

Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011, British Books Challenge 2011

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this around a lot but it's one I've never been drawn to. Maybe I can subconciously tell what you're getting at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see this one in my local WHSmiths every time I go in, although I've never read anything about it before. I would have sworn I'd seen you review it before though... weird

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...