Thursday, 20 October 2011

The Time Will Come (7)



The Time Will Come is a great meme hosted by Jodie over at Books For Company. The point of this meme is to list a book that has been sitting on our bookshelves unread for too long and we have been meaning to get round to for ages!

This week's pick is:

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

An enjoyable historic thriller, well told. A mystifying puzzle involving the execution of an innocent man, the erection of a magnificent cathedral, romance, rivalry, murder, arson, lust, and love. Set in 1135 England. 

Tells the story of Philip, prior of Kingsbridge, a devout and resourceful monk driven to build the greatest Gothic cathedral the world has known... of Tom, the mason who becomes his architect - a man divided in his soul...of the beautiful, elusive Lady Aliena, haunted by a secret shame...and of a struggle between good and evil that will turn church against state and brother against brother. 



This book - I am rather ashamed to say - has been sitting on my bookshelf, unread, for so, so, so many years. But have you seen the size of it? I usually don't mind reading books that are 700 or more pages long, but this one, with its 1076 pages and its tiny font, just seems like an insurmountable obstacle... I know that this is one of the most-read books of all time and that it's supposed to be very good and very well written, but that's not what convinced me to decide to try this book out someday. It was recently made into a mini-series (for TV) and I happened to watch a half hour segment of an episode. It was so well made and it made the story sound very interesting. So, I decided then and there to stop watching the series, go read the book first and then watch it. Still haven't got round to it, but I have promised myself I will! Soon! I mean, despite the size, there must be a reason so many people love it, right?

Have you read this one, or know about anyone who has read it? 
Please let me know what you/that someone said about it!

3 comments:

  1. What is it with you and books which are stupidly long and written in pixie sized font? You have nobody to blame but yourself :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book last year and LOVED it! It is gigantic in size but I literally flew through it in a couple of days, I could hardly put it down and I was actually really sad that it had to end, lol. Ended up being one of my favorite books last year, I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here Phanee! Way too long and the it's not the type of story I would typically read, but everyone seems to love it.
    Maybe we should read it together... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...