Sunday, 2 October 2011

Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Fury by Elizabeth Miles
First published by Simon Pulse in 2011 (this edition is an e-Galley, courtesy of the S&S Galley Grab programme)


Book #1 in The Fury Trilogy


Description (from Goodreads)
Sometimes sorry isn't enough....                                It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...
Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.
On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.
In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.
Em and Chase have been chosen.

My thoughts
Before I got round to reading Fury, I remember that I used to see it everywhere for a while. Reviews, IMM posts (lots of IMM posts) etc. And then it was on Galley Grab. Since Galley Grab is pretty much the only way I can get to read books before their release that is available to people outside the UK and the US (along with NetGalley, of course), I grabbed it. And was I glad I did! (By the way, is it only me who didn't get a September Galley Grab email?)

Anyway, I had read a few reviews of Fury before I started reading it myself and their main characteristic was that they were very mixed. I tend to like it when reviews/ratings are mixed, because then I don't feel the pressure of having to like a certain book, or feeling as if I missed something when I didn't like a book that everyone seems to. In the case of Fury, I am very happy to say that I am on the side of the people who enjoyed it.

Fury is the story of a group of teenagers, with the main characters, according to the description, being Em and Chase. When I was reading the book, I was under the impression that Em was the main character... Things are definitely happening to Chase, too, but the focus wasn't on him enough to classify him as a main character (in my opinion).

The actual storyline itself rather surprised me. The title should have given me a clue as to what it was about, but never did I think of the Furies (Erinyes) of Greek Mythology. (It was pretty obvious, but I probably just couldn't see it.) The fact remains that weird things are happening in Em's hometown of Ascension, starting with a teenage girl who decided to try and end her life by jumping off a bridge and continuing with the appearance of three mysterious girls, who no-one knows where they came from. And they always seem to appear whenever something weird is actually happening; they're never too far away.

I found the writing in this book to be superb! The choice of words and the sentence building was so good, that I kept reading and reading and reading, without realising how many pages I had actually read, and I ended up finishing Fury in just a few hours. (Which is really good considering I was reading from my computer screen.) The characters were well developed, though not particularly nice. Each one of them, excepting a couple of "secondary characters", had some sort of irritating quality. Em, for example, was very selfish, a little immature and quite self-delusional, but, by the end, you could see that her heart was in the right place (most of the time).

Some of the things that happened in this book shocked me. In the sense that I really was not expecting them to happen. And that they were also rather sudden in happening, with limited build-up to the event. But I suppose that is what the author was trying to do; present us with events we didn't think would happen and shock us.

All in all, Fury is a book that I am definitely going to be buying when it comes out in paperback and one that I think is worth reading. If you want to look up some different opinions about this book, then just check its Goodreads page. Looking forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy!

Rating: 8/10


Author:
Elizabeth Miles grew up in a city/town not very far from New York City. She has a degree from Boston University and has worked ever since as a journalist for an alternative newsweekly. Fury is her first novel. You can find out more about Elizabeth Miles from her official website/blog.




Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011, 1st In A Series Challenge

5 comments:

  1. Glad you liked Fury!I on the other hand am with those who didn't like it as much...
    Galley Grab has stopped though from what I hear :(
    Simon&Schuster joined NetGalley so you can check their releases there now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fury is in an awful lot of IMMs, isn't it? I think I must see it at least every fortnight.

    I like mixed reviews, too. It never occurred to me that it'd take the pressure off, but I guess you're right :P

    Sounds like a very good book, I'll keep my eyes open for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about the Galley Grab email as well... Anna, I did not realize they joined NetGalley which is great because their format annoyed me, but on the other hand I guess we can be rejected for reviews now... :(

    Sorry for getting off topic there... Glad you enjoyed this one, Phanee! I love it when things happen when you did not see them coming. Must add this one to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wondering if to read this one, or not, since I've heard so many different opinions about this one. But guess I need to check this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The calculating and manipulative powers of their tormentors are made starkly and terrifyingly clear as the novel spirals toward its devastating conclusion. Miles lays a strong groundwork for her mythology, immersing readers in the fear and uncertainty of a trapped animal as Em and Chase's plight snowballs out of their control. Subtly threatening interjections and foreboding language serve to heighten the impending sense of doom.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...