Thursday, 8 September 2011

Babylon Revisited by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Babylon Revisited by F. Scott Fitzgerald
First published by Charles Scribner's Sons in 1960 (this edition by Penguin Classics in 2011)










Description (from Goodreads)
F Scott Fitzgerald's stories defined the 1920s 'Jazz Age' generation, with their glittering dreams and tarnished hopes. This book features three tales of a fragile recovery, a cut-glass bowl and a life lost. It portrays the idealism of youth and the ravages of success.


My thoughts
I am going to be completely honest here: this book is a bit of a cheat, but nonetheless, I am including it in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge, as it is a book and I did read it. But, because of the fact that it is so short (and because it features 3 short stories), I am making this a mini-review, as I can't say anything about it without spoiling it for anyone who wants to read it.


Having read The Great Gatsby a few months ago and really enjoyed F. Scott Fitzgerald's style of writing, I decided to try reading Babylon Revisited when I noticed my grandparents had a copy of it on their bookshelves. Plus, at the time, I really felt like reading something that would not take me too long to finish.


All three stories were unique. They were in no way connected and each dealt with a completely different kind of issue. My main problem was the fact that they just stopped, quite suddenly. I found that to be especially prominent in the first story (which was also the longest). I was reading it, got to a point where the chapter finished, turned the page expecting to carry on with the story and saw that the story had finished. So, it left me hanging a little.


Other than that, the writing was very good. But I did enjoy The Great Gatsby a lot more than Babylon Revisited. I'm looking forward to reading something else by F. Scott Fitzgerald. (I'll have to have a look through all our old books - I have no idea what might be hidden in there!)


Rating: N/A (I can't really rate it)


Author:
You can find out more about F. Scott Fitzgerald at the end of my review of The Great Gatsby.




Read for the: 100 Books In A Year Challenge 2011



1 comment:

  1. I've never read anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald before but I here he's fantastic. I think if I try anything by him though, it'll have to be a short story because those old books are really daunting to read :P

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...