Sunday, 13 February 2011

The Other Hand

Here is a review of a book that I borrowed from my grandmother. I have to say that the main reason I decided to borrow it was because of the description on the back cover. So here goes:




The Other Hand by Chris Cleave
First published: by Sceptre in 2008





Description: (from back cover)
We don't want to tell you what happens in this book. It's a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. Nevertheless, you need to know enough to buy it so we will just say this: 
This is the story of two women. 
Their lives collde one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice.
Two years later, they meet again - the story starts here...
Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens either. The magic is in how it unfolds.

Opinions:
I  borrowed this book in the summer, but only just remembered I had bought it! The reason I decided to borrow it (as I mentioned above) was it's description from the back cover. That is the main reason I decided to write that particular description in my post. So you can all read it and see for yourselves. Doesn't it make you want to at least try it? I had never actually read a book I knew nothing about, not even from the back cover description. But I have to admit, it is a very good method to try and capture a person's interest. (That doesn't mean it should happen too often. I think the novelty would wear off then...

So, as you will have probably realised I can't really say anything about the book without giving part of it away. What I can say, is that it is the story of two women who met one day under very ominous circumstances, and who meet again two years later in completely different surroundings, but rather ominous in a different way. The story actually begins with the second meeting and explains the first one through narrations of either one or the other woman. But there really is magic in how the story unfolds...

I have to say I enjoyed this book. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, with the rather non-informative back cover, but I was very excited to get into it! It's not what you might call a ''happy book'', even though I'm not exactly sure how to actually define it. I'm not going to comae out and say that it is the best book I have ever read, but it was one of the nicest and most touching ones. I definitely recommend trying it, and I don't think you will regret it either.

Rating: 8/10


Author: Chris Cleave is a British author and journalist. He was born in London, but was brought up in both Cameroon and Buckinghamshire. He studied Psychology at Oxford University. He currently lives in London with his wife and three children. His debut novel, ''Incendiary'' won a 2006 Somerset Maugham Award, was shortlisted for the 2006 Commonwealth Writers Prize, won the United States Book-of-the-Month Club’s 
First Fiction award 2005 and won the Prix Sp├ęcial du Jury at the French Prix des Lecteurs 2007.






Chris Cleave on Wikipedia
Chris Cleave.com

Counts as Book #8 in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge and as Book #4 in my British Books Challenge 2011!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one before. I'm more of a happy book person but I can completely understand why the blurb reeled you in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm more intrigued. I really need to get to this one soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...