Wednesday, 23 February 2011

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories

This one is another of my brother's books! Not that it is much of a book, but I read it, so I am counting it in!

The Melancholy Death Of Oyster Boy & Other Stories by Tim Burton
First published by Rob Weisbach books in 1997 (This edition by Faber and Faber in 2005)





Description: (from back cover)
Tim Burton - the creative genius behind Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow and The Nightmare before Christmas - now gives birth to a cast of gruesomely sympathetic children: misunderstood outcasts who struggle to find love and belonging to their cruel, cruel worlds. His lovingly lurid illustrations evoke both the sweetness and tragedy of these hopeful yet hapless beings.

Opinions:
Weeeeell... This is not really a book. It's a collection of short poems accompanied by their corresponding illustrations. My brother recommended I have a look at it, even though he know I absolutely hate poetry (that is the main reason I hadn't ''read'' the book until now). It's a book that you can read in 5 minutes. Full stop. That's it.

I'm not going to say anything else about the book, because I'll end up spoiling it for you! I can honestly say the book was lovely and very, very touching. But strangely, it's what one might expect from a person like Tim Burton... I don't know why (seeing that is an absolutely weird person), but it is! Try  reading it! I think you'll like it too!

I know this review isn't what you might call informative, but I can't do it any other way! Just to add a last thought though, the illustrations are lovely. Sad-looking (sometimes), but lovely, nonetheless. Just to get an idea, here are some samples of his work!

(from link)
(from link)
(from link)

Rating: 10/10

Author: 
Tim Burton is an American director and producer, as well as an artist and a writer. He is famous for some very well known films he has directed, like ''Edward Scissorhands'', ''Sleepy Hollow'', ''Beetlejuice'', ''Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street'' and, most lately, ''Alice In Wonderland''. He has also directed the animated film ''The Corpse Bride'', one of my favourite films of all time!
He lives with his girlfriend, Helena Bonham Carter, and their two children in London.
In 2009, he published a compilation of his drawings, titled ''The Art of Tim Burton''.
More information can be found here:

Counts as Book #10 in my 100 Books In A Year Challenge!

1 comment:

  1. Such a Great Collection of pictures , Thanks a lot for enjoying me so much

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...