Thursday, 27 January 2011

It's a Kind of Magic

Book title: It's a Kind of Magic
Author: Carole Matthews
Publisher: Headline Review
First published: 2008
No of pages: 410

Description: Emma and Leo have been a couple for years, but when he turns up at her thirtieth birthday party very late and completely drunk, she starts wishing things were a little different. But then Leo meets a very unusual girl named Isobel, falls under her spell and his erratic behaviour seems to completely change before Emma's eyes, making her realise she should be careful what she wishes for...

Review: I bought this book on my Christmas trip to Athens. I had - as always - bought a whole load of books, but for a change, most of them were quite ''serious'' ones (and I don't mean that in a bad way). So, I decided to stick in a book that was a little ''unserious'' (again not meant in a bad way). And I picked this one.

My choice was pretty random. I had seen some books here and there, but I thought this one sounded sweet so I chose it. When I started reading it, it was a short time after New Year and I was in the mood for something sweet, funny and romantic.

I have to admit here that I was a bit disappointed with this book. It's not that it started well and then just lost it's interest. The book's interestingness (yes, new word) was the same pretty much the whole way, except for some paragraphs of ''drama'' in some of the last chapters. It was sweet, it was funny - and not overtly so - and it had romance, too. So I wasn't disappointed in that aspect. No. What disappointed me was the author's way of writing.

What I mean with that is that there were loads of parts in the book that just seemed to go on and on and on, when in all actuality, nothing was really going on. It was either going on and on about Emma's situation (I dumped my boyfriend, but now I want him back) or about Leo's new situation (I love my old girlfriend, but I love my new one too - or something along those lines). With Emma it was either chatter with one of her friends or with her mother and with Leo it was mainly conversations with his two best friends. Which was SO boring. I honestly think she managed to turn a 250-page book into a 400-page one, thus making it for too long for the kind of story she set up.

Rating: I think this book should get 5/10. It's not a bad book or anything like that, but I do find it very off-putting when authors drone on and on about not very much. So, I'm not saying you won't enjoy it. You probably would enjoy the story, just like I did. But, honestly, it was more tiring than enjoying.

Author facts: Carole Matthews was born in St Helen's, Merseyside (that's in the UK, near Liverpool) and was a very avid reader when she was young. But she had never really planned on becoming an author herself. In 1996, she entered a short story contest, which - to her suprise - she won, and was awarded a prize of 1,000 pounds, which she then spent on a writing course. Her tutor liked what she was writing and he recommended her to an agent, leading to the publication of her first book, ''Let's Meet On Platform 8'', in 1997. Since then she has published many books, such as ''The Sweetest Taboo'' and ''You Drive Me Crazy''. Her latest book is called ''The Only Way Is Up'' and is out in hardback right now.
And as always, sources of information about the author, for anyone who might be interested:
Carole Matthews Official Page
Carole Matthews on Lovereading.co.uk
Carole Matthews on Amazon.co.uk

So, Book #1 for my 100 books in a year challenge! Yay! And Book #1 for my British Books Challenge 2011 (as, from my info, Carole Matthews is British)! Good for me!!

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...