Monday, 19 July 2010

The Interpretation Of Murder

Hi again! I'm back and quite quickly too!! This time I am going to write about a completely different book. Nothing like the others. The book is called ''The Interpretation Of Murder''. Which I think you knew, as it is in the title of this post! Haha! Anyway, let's get on with it!
I was given this book as a present about 8 or 9 months ago. It wasn't much of a surprise, as I had already hinted (very, very subtly, mind you..!) that I wanted it. I still acted surprised though... (I am a nice person!) Gosh, I am babbling...
So... ''The Interpretation Of Murder'' by Jed Rubenfeld.


''The Interpretation Of Murder'' is set in Manhattan in 1909 and revolves around the visit of Sigmund Freud to America. When Freud sets his foot onto American soil (figuratively...), he finds out that a beautiful young debutante is found strangled in her apartment. The next day, another beautiful young girl and heiress, Nora Acton, is found tied to a chandelier, wounded and unable to speak or recall what happened. So, Freud enlists the help of Stratham Younger, a young American psychoanalyst, in order to help the heiress to recover her memory and thus, find out who the killer is.
The book is written from Younger's perspective and even though he is not present at quite a few events in the book, those events are described to him, so that he can narrate them in the story, and also, so that he can use information from them to analyse the situation.
There are many real characters featured in the book: Sigmund Freud (the well known neurologist and psychoanalyst), Carl Jung (a psychiatrist, well known for his own theories, many of which oppose Freud's theories), Abraham Brill (a psychiatrist) and Sandor Ferenczi (a psychoanalyst) (the latter two are not so well known, but they are real nonetheless). Even so, the story is entirely fictional, it is just based on a few well known theories that Freud and Jung had, and also on the conflict that existed between Jung and Freud (which was actually only from Jung's part - or so I gathered...).
This is a book I really enjoyed reading. It was very interesting and it made me want to find out a bit more about psychoanalysis, Freud and Jung. Which I did! I didn't really know much about them before... Just a few random facts about Freud from a lesson at school (3+ years ago). If I were to give the book a rating, it would be 8/10. It was very gripping, it made me want to finish it as soon as possible, just so that I can find out what happens in the end. It is a ''whodunnit'' book, but because of the fact that it includes Freud, it is quite different from other books of the same genre. All in all, I really really really enjoyed the book and would definitely recommend it to everyone!
A bit of info in the author:
Jed Rubenfeld is the Robert R. Slaughter Professor of Law at Yale Law School. ''The Interpretation Of Murder'' is his first novel and it has sold over a million copies worldwide. This year, he is going to publish his second novel, titled ''The Death Instinct''.


As always, here are some links about various things!


Hope you enjoy!! See you soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! You really make my day when you leave me one! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...